FOUR

ALL I NEED────── 

ALL I NEED
────── 

ELENA IS STARTLED BY A KNOCK ON THE FRONT DOOR, HER BROWS FURROWING IN CONFUSION. She looks over her shoulder even though she's home alone, and then walks to the door, looking through the peephole. She's on edge right now, what with Katherine apparently parading around town as her, though she doesn't think the vampire would be knocking if she wanted in, considering she's already been invited.

A noise of confusion leaves her when she sees Stefan standing there with Bonnie and Caroline on either side of him, and she swings the door open quickly. "What– what's going on? Why are you all here?"

Bonnie gives her a grave look, pushing into the house past her with a terse sigh that Stefan echoes. Caroline follows them towards the kitchen, not making eye contact with Elena as she chews at her thumb nail, an old anxious habit that Caroline had mostly kicked except in the worst of times. It instantly put Elena on edge, and she locked the front door as she shut it, not without a lingering look into the front yard just in case.

"What's going on?" Elena walks down the short hall to the kitchen table, putting her hands on her hips as she looks between her boyfriend and her two best friends. She chuckles uncomfortably, tucking her hair behind her ears. "You guys are scaring me."

Stefan heaved a tired sounding sigh and looked up at her with a mixture of pity and doubt, something that made her stomach swirl uncomfortably.

"Who is Veronica Wilson?"

His words are like a slap to the face. Just the other night after the mess with Caroline, it had been nothing short of jarring to hear him say that Caroline had been saying her name, but this was something else entirely. This was unavoidable.

"Wh–" She swallowed roughly, looking at Caroline and Bonnie only to see them looking at the surface of the dining table helplessly. "How do you know that name, Stefan?"

"Because she was in my house tonight," He leaned forward, laying his palms flat on the table across from her, watching every bit of her reaction closely. Like he was interrogating her, or something. It made her throat feel smaller, to see him be so dubious of her in a way he hadn't been in so long. "She attacked me, she threatened me– she threatened you, all of you,"

He gestured to the three girls, shaking his head exasperatedly. "And I have no idea why. I've never heard of this girl before, and then these past three days she's suddenly everywhere, and it all comes back to you three. So I need one of you to be honest with me about it right now, because she is not human, and entirely a threat to you if she can't be stopped."

Elena wrapped a hand around the side of her neck, squeezing it softly as she looked between her friends. "I– Veronica– Ronnie."

She stops, looking away from her boyfriend. "Ronnie was our best friend. Her, and– and Izzy Ryan."