Chapter 5

Touma Kamijou didn't know what to think at this point.

There he was, sitting in his kotatsu, confusion, shock and bewilderment adorning his face. Across from him, sitting innocently, as if the earlier situation hadn't happened in her mind, was the ornamentally dressed girl who looked too young for her age.

He offered her down to the balcony, but her stomach kept grumbling, so he took out some food from the fridge. The overwhelming smell of the spoiled yakisoba bread met his very keen sense of smell, and he nearly passed out from it. He kept his wits though, and threw it on the table, looking for any other food in the fridge he could dredge up for the weird foreigner girl.

(Nothing here, well that figures. I didn't expect a silver and gold girl to be draped around the railing of my back pantry. Some day, Kamijou. Some day.)

He pinched his ridge, feeling the accumulated stress of the past week catch up to him.

Remedial classes, a crazy zap-happy brat chasing him around the city, typical shenanigans with his misfortune...

'Hey so uh, I know you're hungry and all but I got nothing on here. The food's all spoiled so I might go out and buy something for you and,' he turned to talk to the nun only to stop, 'me.'

There was only one food article that was in the fridge, the yakisoba bread.
He dropped it on the table before, and it was there on that table as he went back to the fridge.
Then he turned back and he saw it wasn't there.

Why wasn't it there?

Kamijou went over to search the table only to hear a rather loud belch from the other side of the room.

'A little tangy and sour, but simply delicious! I would've starved to death if it weren't for you, so thank you for your generosity!'

'Uh.' Kamijou stood there, stunned.

He walked over to the other side of the room, sitting at the other table's edge near the bed. He sat across where the glutton of a woman was.

'You... ate the bread?'

'Yes. I didn't wish to seem ungrateful.'

'...Even the plastic?'

'Oh so that's where that weird taste came from! ...What's plastic?'

'...Oh such misfortune, what have I gotten myself into?'

Kamijou got up and walked out of the dorm, but not before telling her not to go anywhere. A second later he returned, bringing two paper bags with a famous brand logo at both fronts.

'Eat up,' Kamijou shook out the contents of the bag, a big hamburger with a side packet of fries. His was the same albeit without the fries. He chose bottled water instead of soft drinks since he didn't want to splurge on his budget too much, and softdrinks for breakfast wasn't healthy.

Kamijou watched as the girl's green eyes shone like emeralds, before she ripped the wrapper apart and gulped down the large meal into her mouth.

Then she had the audacity to delicately wipe off a smidge of ketchup on her mouth with her thumb.

Kamijou promptly dropped his meal to the table before ruminating on what just happened.

'Are you okay?'

'No. I'm... not very OK.'

'Oh dear. I can go over-'

'No. Please don't. I don't want any more implications headed in my way.'

'Oh. Okay then,' she said as sat back into her seat (actually the floor on the other side of the table). 'Well, I thank you most sincerely for your generosity, but I need to leave. I've a place to go to.'