Chapter 88: Soft - Hearted (Part 1 & 2)

Start from the beginning

What kind of person was Kim Taehyung? He appeared to be multifaceted, and the Ding capital saw him as a capable yet unruly figure, difficult to control and advance in his career. But in this moment, Jennie couldn't help but wonder if the Kim Taehyung everyone knew was the real Kim Taehyung. He seemed highly aggressive, and the depth of his character was hidden, perhaps intentionally, for the greater good of the nation.

Taehyung didn't seem to mind her lack of attention and leaned in closer as he stared at her. "Shen Jennie, if I were to kill you today, there will be no one left to protect your Shen family."

Jennie's eyes darted, and she saw Taehyung's evil smile. "Shen Yuan has returned to the capital, and with the Second and Third households forming an alliance, what are the chances of Shen Xin winning?" Taehyung's grip on her arm tightened with each word, striking at Jennie's deepest fears. "The Fu family is watching the Shen family like a predator stalking its prey, so Shen Xin's future will be fraught with difficulties. All your schemes and desires will end up in my hands. If you seek revenge, wait for the next lifetime."

The more aggressive he became, the more captivating he appeared. His words targeted the very things that haunted Jennie's heart. In this rebirth, all she desired was the safety of the Shen family's main branch, and her schemes were rooted in a desire for revenge. If she were to die here, everything would come to a sudden halt. Taehyung's eyes showed no sympathy or compassion, and regardless of her identity, even as a Royal Princess, if she discovered Taehyung's relationship with Hoseok, there would be no safe escape. That's why, despite her cautious nature, she had resorted to this dangerous maneuver in a moment of desperation.

Suddenly, memories of Wan Yu and Fu Ming from her past life flashed before her eyes. Jennie's eyes widened, and before she knew it, tears were streaming down her cheeks.

If she were to die here, she wouldn't be able to accept it.

Taehyung saw her tears and furrowed his brow, the hand gripping Jennie's throat gradually loosening.

But Jennie remained oblivious. Finally, Taehyung let go, and a hint of helplessness crossed his face. He was a tall figure, and keeping the young girl cornered made him feel as if he were bullying a child, though he knew full well that Jennie and "child" were incomparable.

After a moment, he pulled the hairpin from his arm, wincing at the pain. Taehyung's brow furrowed as he played with the hairpin he had just removed. Seeing Jennie watching him, he suddenly felt an inexplicable awkwardness. "Don't cry. I won't kill you," he said. After a pause, he added, "I was just trying to scare you."

Jennie felt a slight relief, knowing that Taehyung hadn't been trying to frighten her. His intense desire to kill earlier suggested otherwise. What had changed his mind, Jennie couldn't quite fathom.

Taehyung inquired, "How did you find this place?"

"I saw Third Shu touching a copy of Liu Yuan's night banquet painting, and out of curiosity, I touched it too. Unexpectedly, it led me to this chamber," Jennie explained.

Taehyung looked at her with a sly smile. "Shen Wan?"