Chapter 25: Sneering

The Chrysanthemum banquet was held in Yan Bei Tang, which was located near the Qin ranking Prince's residence, and it was the hall where the founding Emperor and Empress personally set it up. Thus the former mansion was exquisitely pruned and covered several acres with magnificent buildings. If it wasn't that it was far away from the city, the Emperor and Empress would want to transform it to part of the Palace.

With the mountains on one side and water on the other, it was indeed a good place to enjoy the scenery. In particular, in every tenth lunar month, different types of Chrysanthemums would bloom and because the place was manage well and had the possession of different Chrysanthemum seeds, when they bloom, the entire place can be considered as very elegant.

The carriage would take about two hours from Shen residence and Yan Bei Tang so snacks would be prepared so that one would not feel hungry.

Marie opened the basket that Gui Momo brought over and asked Jennie, "Young Lady better eat something. The journey is long and one will have strength if there is something to eat."

Jennie looked at the things in the basket.

Cold goat geese, scallion rolls, spicy and oily drumsticks... At first glance it would make one's mouth water as it was colourful and savoury.

Unfortunately the flavour of these things were just too heavy. Like the cold cheese and spicy and oily drumsticks were easy to smuge the lip rouge and if one was not careful, it would be easy to make one's clothes dirty. Gui Momo really put in 'utmost care' when preparing these food.

The courtyard battle between females was about some tricks that was done in the dark to make others stumble. But Jennie was previously in the Inner Palace of Ming Qi and her opponents were the concubines who were fighting for favour thus the stakes were much higher. These kind of tricks were really nothing at all. She shook her head and let Marie cover the box up and spoke to Alexia, "No need. Alexia have some."

Alexia carefully took out a small cloth bag from behind, that held small and exquisite pastries. Jennie did not trust the kitchens in Shen residence and let Alexia bribe the steward to help her buy some snacks from outside. The steward only thought that Alexia was greedy and did not add anything to the food. That steward was only somewhat surprise that Alexia, a maid, would be actually willing to buy snacks from Guang Fu Zhai.

Guang Fu Zhai was one of the best pastry shop in the Ding capital that even the concubines in the Palace love to eat it. In Jennie's previous life, she was not very interested in Guang Fu Zhai's snacks but Wan Yu love it so much that she would not be happy if she did not eat it for a day.

At this moment the snacks was only about the size of Jennie's finger and was made to look like flowers which was very cute and adorable. Jennie distributed some to Marie and Alexia to eat. Both maids initially did refused but after Jennie's insistence, they was unable to continue refusing and ate a mouthful before saying in surprise, "Young Lady, this snack is really delicious."

Jennie smiled. Actually no matter how delicious can the snacks may be, it only need to be made elaborately and cutely as females would always like good looking things. When Wan Yu had the marriage alliance, she spend a lot of money to buy Guang Fu Zhai's pastry master as she hope that Wan Yu was able to eat her favourite snacks when she was in the bitter cold country of the Dune.

Who would know... Who would know that in the middle of the journey Wan Yu perish and she was unable to even see her body.

Jennie closed her eyes.

Wan Yu's marriage alliance was instigated by Mei Furen and colluded with Chen Rouxi that family but was ordered by Fu Jong Kai. In this lifetime, not one of these people should think about running away. She want these people who cause Wan Yu's death to pay back hundreds and thousands of times!