"What are you doing?!" Kira asked frantically and her hands immediately went to my arms, wanting to pry me off.

"Don't move." I commanded, more forcefully than I had intended, causing her to freeze. 

I held her tightly, her back pressing against my chest. I wouldn't be surprised if she could feel my heart beating. But right now, that was the least of my worries. "Just give me a moment," I said, my voice softening.

Slowly, I felt her relax in my arms and I let my head fall, resting in the crook of her neck. I closed my eyes for a moment, feeling a little more at ease from having her this close to me.

But in the back of my mind, the question Kira had asked me during the Hunter Exam was now coming back to bother me.

"Have you ever lost someone?"

I didn't think so. But was I about to? 

This wasn't like me. It was awfully out of character. When had I ever been afraid of discarding a toy? We had spent too much time together and now I was becoming attached. It was a dangerous game to play. I needed to stop.

Yet, my arms only tightened around her, pulling her even closer, as if by doing so, I could banish these troublesome thoughts.

"Do you think I'm going to die?" Kira asked softly. Her voice was steady but the trace of fear was unmistakeable. 

For once, I didn't feel like lying. "I'm not sure," I whispered.

She gently pried my arms away and turned around to face me. "If I die tonight, kill him for me." She grasped my hand and gazed up at me with determination shining in her silver eyes. "Promise me."

Despite the situation, I found her bloodlust adorable. "I would go to hell and back for you, Sweetheart." 

"You would go to hell and back for fun, you clown." Her grip tightened. "I'm being serious."

"And who said I was joking?"

"Please, you have to kill him." Kira pleaded, her composure cracking a little, revealing the slightest hint of desperation. "Hisoka, promise me."

Did vengeance mean that much to her? Even when there was a chance that she would die, all she cared about was burying Azaro with her. 

But the least I could do was fulfil her wish. I nodded assuringly. "I promise."

Kira ~

"Do you think I'm going to die?" I finally asked. As hard as I tried to keep my voice steady, I could still feel the shakiness and I was sure Hisoka could too.

I felt him stiffen around me, the muscles on his forearms tensing slightly. He seemed to hesitate for a moment before answering softly. "I'm not sure." 

I expected as much. I was just as likely to die as Azaro. It wasn't like I hadn't considered the possibility of failure before, but now it suddenly felt so real. And if I failed, what then? Would my vengeance die with me? 

I would just be another kill added onto Azaro's list. My revenge, my purpose, would all be gone and forgotten. The thought sent a new surge of panic rushing through me. I couldn't let that happen. 

Carefully, I loosened Hisoka's grip around me and turned around to face him. "If I die tonight, kill him for me." I told him sternly, still holding onto his hand. "Promise me."

Amusement danced in his golden eyes. "I would go to hell and back for you, Sweetheart."

I could feel myself getting agitated, desperate even. I was in no mood for his games right now. "You would go to hell and back for fun, you clown. I'm being serious."