7. Haunted

Oberyn had fought many times in his life. He was a Prince yes but at the same time he was a warrior known as the Red Viper. He was born with a sphere in his hand. And he was never afraid. He knew that life was fleeting and regardless of who you were death was gonna come for you one way or another. 

As a man he was the one who was in a constant danger. Always training and fighting or being wounded. Yet, it was his sister who was supposed to be safe in her palace who died first. It wasm't the first lesson he learned in his life but for sure it was the most painful one. 

The image of Elia in his mind was more and more real with every day that passed while he was preparing for the fight. So much so, that when the long awaited day came he could swear that the ghost of his sister was standing right beside him. Scrutinising him but not saying anything. 

He didn't blame her. His candidancy wasn't met with warm feelings. People feared and hated the Mountain but his victory would mean that Tyrion was going to be alive. So no really wished him good luck exept for (obviously) the Imp. 

,,Are you going to fight that?" He heard Ellaria's voice that made him stop overthinking. 

He looked at the other side of the arena. His opponent was there. Clegane was dressed as if he just got out of the bed. And it seemed that he really did because a blond maiden was near his side pouring him a generous jug of wine. They still had few minutes before a fight so Oberyn turned his eyes away from him. A rash of cold came through his veins. He already saw the Mountain on few occasions but this time was diffrent for him. He needed to be focused. 

,,I'm going to kill that.'' He said only.

,,A very dangerous statement to say out loud.'' Oberyn heard in response.

But it wasn't Ellaria nor Tyrion. 

Prince of Dorne turned to his right where few steps behind him he found the woman who used to occupy his thoughts very often lately. 

Vaenera Greyjoy looked as beautiful as ever. With a navy gown that matched her hair and the same spark in her eyes. Yet, all Oberyn could think about was their last conversation when she tried to talk him out of picking up the fight. He immediately thought that she was here to try to change his mind again. But he wouldn't fall for this innocent look of hers. 

,,He is the biggest man I have ever seen.'' Said Ellaria.

,,Size does not matter when you are flat on your back.'' Murmured Oberyn in response to his paramour's comment but his eyes were rested on the woman with sea green eyes. 

Tyrion said something to himself but Oberyn didn't care about what was happening behind his back.

,,What are you doing here my Lady?'' He asked looking at Vaenera. ,,You should be sitting next to your cousin.''

,,I am going to be seating next to my cousin.'' She said. ,,But I came here to wish you good fortune. May the Warrior guide your sphere and bless your movements Prince Oberyn.''

Oberyn was taken aback by her comment. Initially, he though that she came her to advise him to drop the fight but she instead she did the opposite. 

She was the only one person who wished him good luck today exept for Tyrion.

He needed to blink a few times. A weird feeling occured in his chest and his voice felt rusty when he opened his mouth. 

,,Thank you, Princess.''

Mister Pycelle started talking so Oberyn shook his head and cursed under his mouth. Why was he so suddenly loosing his focus whenever that girl was around? He decided that their conversation was ended and was ready to leave for the battle field when he felt sudden pull in his arm. So strong that made him almost stumble.