Chapter One: Fracture

Start from the beginning

"What hasn't already been said?" Tokoshima says. "Hachiyo-san and I knew we were destined to become video game developers since high school, but to see everything lead up to the C.R.G is rather humbling."

"I LOVE AIKO!" Only after hearing the scream of a fan behind the camera, do I realise there must be a massive crowd off-screen. As Tokoshima laughs and waves to her fan off-screen, Okawa asks her, "Is there anything you want to say to your international fans?" Tokoshima nods, and talks about her product in English. From what I can tell, she's just as fluent in English as she is in Japanese.

"On a more serious note," Okawa says once Tokoshima finishes. "What do you think of the rumours of a cyberattack at your next appearance?"

Taken aback by Okawa's question, she becomes breathless, almost as if air has been stolen from her lungs.

"I—"

"The rumours are trifling," Hachiyo says, stepping beside Tokoshima. I doubt that she had plans to be interviewed since no superimposition is popping up to introduce her. "We understand everyone's concerns, but we've already taken the necessary precautions," Hachiyo says as Tokoshima steps out of frame, looking off-camera to address the crowd. "We'll have C.R.D officers stationed for protection—both in-game and outside HQ to shut down any brewing cybercrimes."

"You sound rather dismissive, Ms. Hachiyo," Okawa says.

"And that's about all the time we have," Tokoshima laughs, placing her hands on Hachiyo's shoulders. "The company can't run itself, you know."

"Yes, of course," Okawa says, offering Tokoshima his hand. She smiles and shakes it with both hands.

"I hope I said enough," Tokoshima says, winking at Okawa. Her response is so unapologetically amorous that I can imagine Dad rolling his eyes. Meanwhile, my mouth has dropped in shock knowing she's on national television.

"I—" Okawa stutters.

Before Okawa can finish, Tokoshima walks off-screen, waving at the crowd once more. He tries to shake Hachiyo's hand, but she's already heading inside the building too.

"That was—Ms. Tokoshima and Ms. Hachiyo," Okawa stammers, still flustered. "We'll be back after the ad break."

Once the commercials start to roll, I reach out to grab the handrail at the stairs.

"Michael," Dad's voice stops me in my tracks.

"Take a look at the letter on your desk," He says. "I still think it's a good offer."

Sure enough, a familiar logo is sizing me up from my desk when I enter my room—the stencil of a horse in mid-air against a blue crest. Although I know many of my schoolmates would kill to be in my spot now, I'm not as elated to be receiving this letter.

Here goes nothing.

I tear open the letter and read the first paper that falls out—

August 20th, 2036

Oklahoma City

To: Adrian Leong,

As a token of appreciation for your exceptional service to the country, we at Stallion University have invited your son, Michael Leong, to be part of next year's intake of students. We have taken note of his outstanding academic performance, and believe his enrollment will be beneficial for both him and the academy's reputation.

Please note that a timely submission of the application for administration.

From,

Kamau Umar, Principal