Fifteen

Getting camp back together was more difficult than we expected. Supplies had dropped to a low, and temperatures had plummeted since the storm. Now, we had to double the workload amidst the biting cold.

Everyone had been organised into teams: some worked on rebuilding the tents, others foraged for food, hunting parties set out, and the rest took on guard duty. It was all hands on deck, and despite the hardships, things were progressing well. The camp had been rebuilt, nuts and berries had been found, animals had been hunted, and we had no signs of an attack from the grounders, at least not yet.

The only other significant update was the radio. Thanks to Raven, we had established a secure connection to the Ark. I had already talked to the council and decided to allow parents and children some time on the radio to connect with their loved ones. A line had formed on the Ark, and we respected it, letting families reunite, if only through the airwaves.

The downside of this situation was that the parents of the deceased children had to be told of the fate of their loved ones. It was an incredibly challenging task, one that Bellamy, Clarke, and I had been avoiding. So it was Miller who dutifully stepped up to shoulder that burden. He had truly shown his value in camp these days, proving to be a reliable and responsible member of our community.

Clarke and I are waiting outside the radio tent for Miller to finish informing Diggs' parents about the tragic news. There was a council meeting scheduled afterwards, and both of us had been asked to attend, or more accurately, participate in the video call with the Ark.

As we wait, my mind can't help but wander to Bellamy. Since our intimate moment the other day, I've barely had a chance to see him. There's been an endless list of tasks to complete, hardly a moment to rest. Despite the pressing issues we face, I can't deny that I miss him. Bellamy has been acting strangely since the radio was set up, every time someone brings it up, he goes tense and shoots down the idea of talking to the Chancellor. I can't blame him for his fear, but sooner or later, he's going to have to face it.

"Finally," Clarke mutters from beside me as Miller steps out of the tent, offering a tense smile before heading back to the dropship.

"Patience isn't your strong suit, Clarke," I comment, chuckling softly, appreciating her moment of light-heartedness. I've always found that side of Clarke endearing, the moments when she allows herself to let go and be less serious.

She playfully asks, "So, what is my strong suit then?"

I pause for a few seconds, considering her question as we make our way into the tent. "Being bossy," I reply with a smirk, and she laughs in response, her mood shifting as she puts on a headset.

The moment the headset rests on her head, the lightheartedness fades, and her expression turns serious. I follow suit and put on my headset as the Chancellor takes his place in front of us, ready for the council meeting.

"Good morning Clarke, Ivy" Chancellor Jaha says.

"Good morning, Chancellor Jaha," Clarke replies courteously. I offer a forced smile in response. He's not my favourite person, and I generally prefer to avoid conversations with him.

"We have heard some of what has happened with these 'grounders,' but we would like you to tell us all of it."

Clarke and I dive into a detailed narrative of everything that has occurred with the grounders. We start with what they did to Jasper, the grounder's abduction of Octavia, and the chase in which we lost three of our own, and we conclude with the capture of the grounder and the desperate measures we took to save Finn.

"It sounds like they are a real threat down there," Jaha remarks after a few moments of silence following our tale. I stifle an almost instinctive eye-roll at his statement; it's rather self-evident to me.