Chapter 9 reveal and arrest

It's now 4.50 p.m., and the meeting in the Diammonium club is starting soon. Mr. Dawnmouse is looking all nervous. Everyone else thinks it's merely because he is just starting, and it is natural to be nervous for the first time. But it's not about that. He hasn't heard anything from Basil of Baker Street or about his son. How can he know if his son is safe or not? Should he resign or not?

Suddenly, Mr. Mussen rushes in with folders. He has a couple of stitches and a black eye that has stopped swelling. "I'm sorry for being late." He says and takes his seat.

"My goodness! What happened to you?" Switchboly asked.

"A burglar tried to rob us one night, but I stopped him, and he fought back. My wife insisted that I stay home to rest before the meeting. " Mr. Mussen said.

"Oh my…" Captain Andermice said.

Mr. Mussen goes to Mr. Dawnmouse gives a cheerful embrace and wishes him good luck. To other members, this isn't unusual because both were friends from the start. Mr. Dawnmouse looks a bit surprised but then all relieved and takes his place as chairman.

"Mr. Richmouse? You look a bit pale." Captain Andermice said. " Should I ask Nigel to bring some tea?"

"No! No need. I… go take some fresh air." Mr. Richmouse said and tried to leave the meeting room. But as soon as he opens the door, there stands Mr. Mussen with cuts and all and police mice. Mr. Richmouse almost yelps, seeing angry Mr. Mussen.

"But… you… how?" Mr. Richmouse tries to say while pointing at the table where Mr. Mussen was already sitting and then back in the door where the same mouse stood in front of him with cops. Others were surprised as well.

"What? Would you have preferred him tied up in sewers with Dawnmouse’s son?" one at the table said while getting up and picking up his handkerchief and starting to wipe his face, revealing to be no other than Basil of Baker Street in disguise. "Thank you for letting me in, Captain Andermice."

"It was my pleasure." The old mouse in the wheelchair smiles. "My little tiger cub always says you're good with disguises. Now I get to see it myself." he chuckles.

"What's going on? What is he talking about?" Mr. Switchboly asked.

"Mr. Richmouse hired two goons to kidnap Dawnmouse’s son and Mr.Mussen to make sure Mr. Switchboly becomes chairman of the Diammonium club," Elizabeth said while coming behind the cops.

"A girl? This is a gentleman's club!"

"She is with me." Basil clears.

"And she is my grandchild." Captain Andermice points out.

"You kidnapped my son?!" Mr. Dawnmouse asks a bit angrily.

"You don't actually believe them? Where's the evidence?"

"Well, one of the crooks confessed it all to us," Elizabeth said. "But we also have solid evidence."

That's when Dawson comes to another officer. "I found it."

"The letter that was sent to Dawnmouse was intended to look like used paper, but it's still so clean and white to be used by one of the criminals." Basil begins. "When we visited Mr.Mussen's residence, he had different types of paper than that one. It has different watermarks for museums and theaters and a bit of a beige hue."

"And most importantly, different handwriting," Elizabeth adds. "So to confirm our culprit, we asked the doctor to go check with one officer on Richmouse's study. And guess what, the same white paper."

"And we also confirmed your handwriting from Nigel." Basil finishes. "You hired the kidnappers and made the letter."

In this, Dawnmouse gets up and intends to go at Mr. Richmouse, but Captain Andermice stops him. "Where is my son?!"

"No need to worry, Mr. Dawnmouse," Basil said. "Your son is with your wife in the visitor lounge with Nigel."

Mr. Dawnmouse sits down in relief while Mr. Switchboly, on the other hand, goes at Mr. Richmouse angrily. "You kidnapped a child and another member of The Diammonium Club? If I had known you would go this far, I would have never signed as a candidate!"

"Oh, knock it off! You really think they would have selected you if you would have suggested libraries as a donation plan, you fancy geek!" Mr. Richmouse shouts. "Traveling was a better option than that!"

"You mean better for you." Elizabeth points out. "The reason you suggested traveling as a donation target was so you could get that money. You own one of the travel agencies here in London. Just like the other two who voted for Mr. Switchboly. Whoever, those aren't desperate to get more money because they also handle delivery trafficking across the countries. But you only do the traveling and with high prices even. You knew you couldn't go as a candidate and suggest traveling as a donation plan because then everyone would've figured that you wanted the money. So, you picked Mr. Switchboly instead, to do it for you, but all didn't go as you wished for Mr. Switchboly came third with only three votes. So you decided to get rid of the competition."

"Why you little….!" Mr. Richmouse intends to raise his hand at her, to silence her. Dawson quickly tries to pull her away, but suddenly, another hand takes hold of Mr. Richmouse.

Basil had rushed quickly to stop him and looked very seriously and angrily at him. Mr. Richmouse tries to get free, but Basil's hold is firm and tight. "It's over now," he said in a serious voice. "Lieutenant Black, take him away."

Lieutenant Black orders two of his officers to arrest Mr. Richmouse, who tried to protest, but with no results.

"And don't ever bother coming back to this club!" Mr.Dawnmouse glares at him. "We don't want schemers like you here!"

In this police officers take Mr. Richmouse away.

"Now, I believe you have a meeting to start." Basil suggests.

Mr. Mussen goes to Mr. Dawnmouse and shakes his hand before taking his seat. Other members did the same, while Basil, Dawson, and Elizabeth left the meeting room.

"Are you alright, my dear?" Dawson asked Elizabeth.

"I'm fine." Elizabeth said. "I know my uncle will protect me." She said before hugging Basil.