Chapter 3 Diammonium club

It didn't take long before they arrived at Dawnmouse's home. The servant who was with young John Dawnmouse was in his bed with his head bonded and unconscious. This indicates that the kidnapper hit hard on purpose, so he can't stop him or fight back to save the boy. Dawson was checking his wound while Basil talked with the maid to describe the kidnapper.

Elizabeth stood outside the hallway before Basil came out from one room and Dawson from the next.

"Well?" She asked as they came outside of the house. She was wearing a straw boater hat with a purple ribbon.

"The description that maid gave me sounds to be one crook who once worked for Professor Ratigan, Ben the kidnapper," Basil explained. "He was involved in another kidnapping case in autumn."

"Ugh! Do you mean one of Fancypaws?" Elizabeth asked annoyingly. "I should've kicked both of his legs."

Dawson looked confused at first before Basil told him the case. "Back then, Professor Ratigan was after Fancypaws' heirloom. A golden statue the size of a table clock is very ancient and very priceless. To get his hands on it, Ratigan captured their only daughter, Helen, and demanded ransom, the heirloom exchange for their daughter."

"But Mr. Fancypaws refused to do that because he kept insisting that Helen's sweetheart, Mr. Tailmore was behind her disappearance and that he was after their money," Elizabeth explained annoyingly. "Although Mr.Tailmore knew nothing about the heirloom for he was truly in love with Helen and wanted to save her."

"That's when she kicked his leg for the first time," Basil notes.

"What then happened?" Dawson asked curiously.

"Well, since Mr. Fancypaws wasn't willing to believe and rescue his own daughter. We had to improvise," Basil explained. "Mr. Tailmore came to the meeting point to get Helen back and exchanged her on "the heirloom...." Basil explained.

"... Which was made of chocolate." Elizabeth grins remembering how it went when they heard Ratigan roaring in frustration when he found out that the golden statue was actually made of chocolate.

"What then happened?" Dawson asked.

"Mr. Fancypaws wasn't still convinced that his daughter was kidnapped and still blamed Mr. Tailmore about it," Elizabeth said annoyingly.

"That's when she kicked again on the same leg and called him a stupid old snob," Basil notes. "Of course, he was going to hit her for that until I stopped him before he would lay any finger on her."

"What happened to the couple?" Dawson asked.

"They got married," both Basil and Elizabeth said.

"Turned out, Mr. Tailmore is Captain Andermice's tailor. And a very talented one, actually." Basil tells. "The young couple was planning to get married, and Mr. Tailmore had asked Captain Andermice to be a witness."

"Was the bride's father against it?" Dawson asked.

"Very," Elizabeth said. "But it turns out he was also a member of the Diammonium club, so he knew my grandfather. He went very pale when he realized that I was his grandchild and that he almost hit me. Grandfather, of course, was very furious at him. Not only because he almost hit me, but also not care about saving his own daughter and looking down on his tailor."

"For punishment, Captain Andermice banned him from the Diammonium club until he learned his lesson." Basil finished.

"Plus, we two get to be at the wedding too." Elizabeth smiles.

"And you think Ben the kidnapper is behind this case?" Dawson asked.

"He was never captured back then," Basil said. "But he only does the dirty work. The kidnapping and watching over them. Not the smartest guys."

"What do you mean?" Dawson asked.

"If he kidnapped John, that means someone else is behind this," Elizabeth said.

"Someone who doesn't want Mister Dawnmouse as chairman of the Diammonium club." Basil clears. "Which is why we need to talk with Captain Andermice."

*****

Just like any gentleman club, the Diammonium club's members were all gentlemen mice. So naturally, Doctor Dawson was a bit concerned about how they would get to speak with Captain Andermice. Not only is it a club for rich and noble mice, which they may not get inside, but what was really concerning was… Elizabeth. She simply walked into the reception.

"Excuse me, no women are allowed," said the young receptionist.

This Dawson was expecting, but Basil and Elizabeth didn’t budge. They both looked sharply at the receptionist.

“What you think, uncle? Three weeks working here?” Elizabeth asks.

“A month to be exact, dear.” Basil cleared. “But he used to work at an art club. See the old habit of wearing a certain type of gloves. Also, notice that the small box on the left side of his chest is the miniature restoration kit, which so he is also very precise with his work.”

"Which one may I ask?" Elizabeth asked teasingly.

"I need you to lea…"

"Oh, Miss Andermice!" Another mouse in a neat outfit appears while carrying a couple of newspapers. He is middle-aged and has well-camped hair. Wearing the same outfit as the receptionist indicates that he also works in the club.

"Ah, Nigel. Long time no see." Elizabeth smiles.

"I'm sorry, sir. I was going to ask them to leave…" the receptionist said.

"You did what?!" Nigel asked upsettingly before hitting the receptionist with one of the papers. "Has your brain shrunk with paint vapors?"

There was a confused look on the receptionist's face and Dawson's face.

Basil clears his throat and starts to explain.  "When Captain Andermice was Chairman, he made a little exception to see his dear grandchild. He decided that one room in the Eastside of the club building would be the 'Visitor lounge', used to see family members, women included, in case there's an important matter or emergency." Both Dawson and the receptionist looked at Basil as he explained. "Also, from what I heard, many members have taken advantage of this to see their family members. One of them is Mister Dawnmouse, who is now a chairman."

The receptionist looks at Nigel. "All true," he confirms. "I'm terribly sorry. Thomas has been here for a month."

"Substitute or permanent?" Elizabeth asked.

"Substitute. Frank finally took his day off." Nigel said.

"After he broke his leg." The receptionist mumbled.

"I'll handle our guests, Thomas. You go prepare the tea for the visitor lounge. You know how Captain wants it." Nigel said to the receptionist before leading the three of them to the visitor lounge. "I assume you are here by a case."

"How do you know?" Dawson asked.

"I may not be a detective, but when young Miss Andermice comes here with her known uncle, Basil of Baker Street, it always involves a case. Like the 'Broken Valentine'." Nigel said.

"A what?"

"One case that happened in February," Basil explained.

"Well, you're right on that, Nigel," Elizabeth said. "But we can't explain it all now. The walls have ears, too."

"Oh, nonsense. We chose this room as a Visitor lounge for a reason. There could be babies crying, and still, no one would hear it." Nigel said.

"We still prefer if no one knows about this yet," Basil said. "So, we prefer if you make sure no one comes near to listen."

"As you wish, sir," Nigel said. "I'll go get Captain Andermice now," he said and left the room.