Chapter 5 Mr. Mussen disappearance

Soon, Basil, Dawson, and Elizabeth were walking in the new location. They decided to go see Mister Mussen and got his address from Nigel.

"You don't think Mr. Mussen is the culprit?" Dawson asked worriedly. "Mister Dawnmouse did want to include art and music studies to his donation."

"Of course not," Elizabeth said. "Mr. Mussen is very kind. He loves children."

"But he doesn't have his own, am I right?" Basil confirms.

"He got married just a half year ago," Elizabeth said. “They probably get later.”

“What else do you know about him?” Basil asked.

“He is not from a noble family, but he became rich five years ago.” Elizabeth begins. “Not all were pleased that he became a member of the Diammonium club. But then again, there are some not from noble families and still are members.”

“How did your grandfather take it?” Dawson asked.

“Oh, he didn’t mind. And neither didn’t Mr. Dawnmouse.” Elizabeth said. “By what I heard, those two have been friends ever since Mr. Mussen joined the club.”

“Yet he hasn’t appeared in the club and hasn’t informed them of being ill.” Basil reminds.

“You think they are connected?” Dawson asked.

“One way to find out,” Basil said.

*****

As they arrived at Mussen's residence, to their surprise, the police mice were there. What has happened?

One of the officers recognizes Basil immediately. "Mister Basil. What brings you here?"

"I have a case, Lieutenant Black. One in which I like to speak with Mr. Mussen." Basil answered.

The officer, Lieutenant Black, looks concerned. "Don't you know, Mr. Mussen has vanished."

Both Dawson and Elizabeth look shocked by the news, while Basil looks more focused. This can't be a coincidence.

“When did this happen?” Basil asked.

“Last night. Mrs. Mussen called us. Inspector Lawless is inside investigating.” Lieutenant Black told.

“Oh no…Him?”

“Elizabeth!” Basil hushed her.

“Inspector Lawless? Wasn’t he the one who came to arrest the culprit in the Emerald ring case? Dawson asked.

“The same,” Basil confirms while pinching between his eyes. “Any leads yet?”

“Not yet.” Lieutenant Black answered.

“Mind if I give a little assistance?” Basil suggests and enters the house before Lieutenant Black could answer Dawson and Elizabeth behind him.

Inside the house, three police mice were checking all around the house. It is probably the possible way to enter the house. Lieutenant Black leads them to the study, Inspector Lawless is with crying Mrs. Mussen and the maid who was consoling her.

As soon as the inspector saw Basil and his companions, he got a bit upset. “Oh for heaven's sake! What are you doing here, Basil?”

“I’m not here to take your case if that’s what upsets you,” Basil said with a teasing smile. “I have another case which led me to come here to see Mr. Mussen.”

“And let me guess, Lieutenant Black told you what has happened.” Inspector figured before sighing. “Well, as much as I like to ask you to leave, we are a bit stuck.”