"Because of him, I have lost my father-in-law," Abbas gritted. "And soon my father,"

"Death is only by the will of Allah, Ibni. I cannot bear to do such a thing to my older brother, for I fear having to answer for it in front of our Lord,"

"But Baba, he was treacherous to you. Indeed, he is in the wrong,"

"And yet, I do not want to bear the burden of fulfilling his punishment,"

"But justice-"

"Justice will be served in the court of the Most Just, inshaAllah," Humayra concluded.

The brothers turned to their mother, whose melancholic eyes were gazing at her withering husband. She then looked at her sons with a somber smile.

"Your father needs to take his pain relievers and rest,"

Harun sighed but nodded. He leaned over and dropped a gentle kiss on his father's wrinkled forehead. "Afwan,"

Abbas did the same.

"We shall return after you have rested," Harun concluded.

"Bring your wives with you next time," Ilyaas rasped. "I fear I will not get to see my first grandchild,"

Abbas nodded, and they both exited.

Once the doors to their parent's chambers shut, the brothers sighed.

"What do we do?" Abbas asked.

"What can we do? Baba has decided," Harun answered. "And we must respect his decision,"

His brother ran his fingers through his scalp and sighed once more. "I guess,"

Abbas offered his brother to lead the way out, following behind him closely. Silence thrummed between them as they exited their parent's private quarters and headed toward the center of the palace.

"How are you getting on with the Princess?" Abbas enquired, his voice audible only to the two of them.

"All is well," Harun muttered.

"I hope so," Abbas said and silence drifted between them again. He wished he could see his brother's expression in the hope that it could further elaborate his words, but his brother kept up a swift pace ahead of him.

They got to a junction.

"We will have to part ways here," Harun announced, finally facing his younger brother.

Abbas nodded, scoping out for any emotion, but his brother's face was blank. It began to worry him. Harun was always the warmer one between the two of them.

His older brother patted him on his shoulder and turned to leave.

"Don't be so harsh on yourself Habibi," Abbas called out as his brother's figure distanced from him. "Whatever happens, happens,"

His brother waved in response before his body disappeared around a corner.

***

Harun craved comfort, and there was only one person who could ensure that. His feet directed him back to his chambers in the hope of finding his beloved wife. But as he approached his quarters, his ears pricked up, and he noticed more of the Palace staff were present than usual. They all nodded their respects and continued with their tasks.

Harun delved deeper in only to discover that they were all shifting items out of the room at the end of the hallway; Thaina's art room.

His heart shifted into a frenzied pace as he reached the room.