Chapter 11

"Dalia,"

Her ears pricked up at the call of her name. It sounded familiar. Was it Tarek? Or Yasmin?

"Dalia, wake up,"

She tried to pry her eyes open. But for some reason, they felt heavy, like a pair of hands had cupped them shut.

"Dalia, you need to wake up now," said the voice laced in a tone of urgency, causing her heart to race. Was something the matter? Was it the twins?

She tried to respond to the voice but her lips felt sealed shut. She began to heave frantically. What was wrong with her?

"Dalia!"

Her heart skipped a beat. It was Yasmin's voice.

"Dalia help me!"

She wanted to scream but her voice would not travel past her sealed lips.

"Dalia!"

Dalia's eyes finally opened, and she leaped up from the sheets, sweat soaking her hair and dampening the front of her chemise. Her racing pulse drummed in her veins, and she huffed for air, her lips no longer clamped together. It was all a dream.

As the sun's light expelled the last of the night away, Dalia's eyes searched her unfamiliar surroundings. The events of the previous day finally returned to her, and she felt an ache in her chest. She wasn't home but in Balqaas.

A sob threatened to escape from her throat, but Dalia held back, afraid that if it came out, she wouldn't be able to control the surge of sadness that would break loose. She refused to acknowledge the ache in her chest, the urge to run and find her home again, if only she knew the way back.

Dalia swatted her damp strands back and investigated the state of her clothes. The strings were still as tight as she had knotted them, which meant the King hadn't attempted to take advantage of her whilst she was asleep. Dalia sighed in relief, wiping the last drops of perspiration off her forehead. She lay down gently on the pillows, her hands cupping her chest as she gripped her mother's ring. She tried to recall how she fell asleep, but after the King had left, everything that followed was a blur.

She didn't blame herself for knocking out, for the journey to Balqaas was the first and most grueling journey she had ever made across the desert. Dalia had tried to keep note of the journey there, but once they had ventured into the desert, she no longer could, for the expanse of sand stretched on as far as her eyes could see, like a blanket of gold glistening under the baking sun.

The Malik! She sat up and slipped out of bed. Swiftly but quietly, she made her way out of her chambers to the neighboring rooms. Glancing in carefully, she discovered that all the rooms were unoccupied and untouched, with no sign of the King anywhere.

Dalia returned back to her room and sat on the bed confused. If he had not stayed here, then had he gone back to the Queen?

"Sahiba, you are awake!"

The sudden appearance of another voice made her jump.

"Meera! You startled me!" she exhaled.

"My apologies," she murmured. Her handmaiden was standing other side of the gossamer drapes, where the King had stood last night. "I came to see if you were in need of assistance, and pass on a message,"

"What is it," she responded, lying back on her cushions.

Meera drew back the curtains and entered.

"The Malik sends his apologies for not being able to join you for breakfast. There was a pressing matter he had to attend to,"