Chapter 16: Aragog

"I call shotgun!"

"I cant believe I'm doing his," Pansy muttered in disgust as we walked deeper and deeper into the Forest, trying not to step on any of the spiders that covered the ground. "Remind me, why am I doing this?"

"Because you owe me for the last time we were here," I said. "I saved you from being alone with Malfoy and the Riddles."

"That's not a satisfying answer!"

"You have to return the favor."

"I am! By sparing you from giving me a piggyback ride."

"Fair enough."

"Can I get a piggy back ride?" Ron asked my brother.

"No," Harry replied.

"But we're best friends!" Ron moaned in fear. "Harry, I don't like this..."

A few seconds.

"I don't like this at all!"

"Shush!" Harry and I hissed.

We came in front of a small tunnel between the roots of a large tree. The spiders were going that way.

"Can we go back now...?"

"Honesty, Weasley, you're such a baby," Pansy shot.

Ron didn't argue.

"Come on!" Harry lead the way, crouching his head down a little so he wouldn't bump his head.

We emerged from the other side where the trees were huge; their roots were too thick that they were partly underground. The rest of it was left out to make the place bumpy to walk on.

One thing was clear; there were more spiders here, and they looked bigger. Hairier.

CRACK.

It sounded like a tree branch (or perhaps a tree?) had broken.

"Who is it?" said a deep voice.

"Don't panic," Harry whispered. Ron looked ready to disobey.

"Hagrid. Is that you?"

"W-we're friends af Hagrid's!"

Slowly, a longs hairy, insect's leg popped out from behind a large tree root followed by a few more and the body of ancient spider. He snapped his pincers.

"And you're Aragog aren't you?" Harry asked.

Who?

"Hagrid has never sent men into our hollow before."

Or women, I hope.

"He's in trouble," Harry quickly explained. "Up at the school there have been attacks. They think it's Hagrid. They think he opened the Chamber of Secrets. Like before."

"That's a lie."

Yeah, no shit. Hagrid's an angel.

"Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets."

"Then... you're not the monster?"

"The monster was born in the castle. I came to Hagrid from a distant land in the pocket of a traveler."

"Harry...!" Ron whimpered. "Y/n!"

"Shush!" I said and and Harry continued, "But if youre not the monster, then what did kill that girl, fifty years ago?"

"We do not speak of it. It is an ancient creature we spiders, fear above all others."

"But have you seen it?"