Chapter 2: Dobby's Warning

"Not the cake you filthy, little creature!"

Harry and I managed not to shout out, but it was a close thing. There was a little creature jumping on Harry's bed while whooping. It had large bat-like ears and bulging eyes the size of tennis balls.

As soon as it spotted us it stopped, hopped onto the floor and bowed. "Harry and Y/n Potter, such an honor it is." It said in a high-pitched voice.

"What are you?" I asked and my brother said. "Who are you?" at the same time.

"Dobby. Dobby the house-elf."

"Not to be rude or anything—" said Harry and I continued. "This isn't a great time for us to have a house-elf in our bedroom."

"O-oh- yes, ma'am, Dobby understand," the elf nodded. "It's just that Dobby has come to tell you..." he stapped for a second. "It is... difficult, sir, ma'am, Dobby wonders where to begin."

"Why don't you sit down?" Harry asked.

"S-s-sit down?" Dobby stuttered, then to our horror,
burst into sobs.

"Dobby—Dobby, hush!" I hissed.

"Dobby, I'm sorry—" said Harry. "I didn't mean to offend you or anything."

"Offend Dobby?" the elf squeaked. "Dobby has heard of the Potters greatness, but never has he been asked to sit down by a wizard... like an equal."

"You cant have met any decent wizards then," Harry smiled.

"No... I haven't," Dobby shook his head smiling back then his expression changed to horror. "That was an awful thing to say." He walked towards the dresser and started banging his head on it. "Bad Dobby!"

"No- Dobby, stop!" I hissed.

"Dobby, please stop!" Harry whispered. "Dobby, please- be quiet!"

Dobby stopped, looking dizzy.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked.

"Dobby had to punish himself, sir. Dobby almast spoke ill of his family."

"Your family?" I said.

"The wizard family Dobby serves, ma'am. Dobby is bound to serve one family forever. If they ever knew Dobby was here... Ooh!" He shuddered. "But Dobby had to come. Dobby has to protect the Potter twins. To warn them. The Potters must not go back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year. There's a plot. A plot to make most terrible things happen."

"What terrible things?" asked Harry.

"Who's plotting them?" I wondered.

"Oh!" Dobby grunted, "He-can't-say-!"

"OK! We understand!" Harry panicked. "You can't say!"

Dobby had jumped onto the bedside table and started banging his head with the lamp.

"Dobby! Dobby, put the lamp down!" Harry whispered-yelled.

Merlin, this elf is gonna put us in big trouble.

I started wrestling the lamp out of his little fists. "Give me the lamp!" I froze when I heard footsteps climbing the stairs. Harry and I exchanged looks that said 'Uh oh'.

I grabbed Dobby from his clothes -which seems to be a pillowcase- and threw him into our wardrobe, shutting the door and flinging myself onto my bed just as the door handle turned.

"What the devil are you doing up here?!" said Uncle Vernon through gritted teeth.

"I-I was just—" Harry stuttered who was still standing by the wardrobe. He shut its door which seemed to have gone loose.