Chapter 6: Gilderoy Lockhart

"What's a Howler?"

The first lesson of the year was Herbology.

All the students were in the greenhouse and I was standing between Pansy and Neville who was telling us about the plants that were in the pats in front of us.

"Good morning, everyone," called the professor.

"Good morning, Professor Sprout," we replied.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second-years," she started. "Now, gather around, everyone! Today we are going to re-pot Mandrakes."

"Told you!" Neville hissed excitedly.

"Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake? Yes, Miss Granger."

Hermione was the first to put her hand up. "Mandrake, or Mandragora," she started, "is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. Now as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for sevral hours, which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So could you please put them on right away?"

We all started to put them on. I just hope their clean. Then I shoved the uncomfortable feeling off. That's rich coming from someone who wears Dudley's old clothes.

"Flaps tight down," said the Professor, "and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly..." she was showing us how to do it while saying the instuctions out loud. "And pull it sharply up out of the pot."

I almost gagged at the sight. Instead of roots, Professor Sprout had pulled out a small, mudly and really, really ugly baby. It was clearly screeching at the top of its lungs but thanks to the earmuffs (which were probably enchanted) I heard only a soft blocked-out squeal.

The professer was still saying the instructiens which I could barely make out. "And now you will dunk it down into the other pot." She did that, "and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm."

There was a thud and Neville was lying on the floor unconscious, his earmuffs slightly unadjusted.

Professer Sprout sighed, "Longbottom's been neglecting his earmulfs."

"No, ma'am," said Seamus who was standing an the other side of Neville, "he's just fainted."

"Yeah, well, just leave him there. Right, on we go. Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it up."

We follewed her instructions and soon there were high-pitched squeals everywhere. I scrunched up my face at the horrible sight of the Mandrake and shaved it into its pot forcefully.

I spotted Draco with his finger stuck in the Mandrake's mouth. He was struggling to pull it free. Mattheo swung his Mandrake, hitting it right on his brother's head. Tom howled angrily and threw his plant an Mattheo's faces.

My laughter was cut off as I tripped over Neville's body.

•••~⚡︎⚯⚡︎~•••

I stepped into the Great Hall to see Ron taping his wand together. The tape fell off and the wand fell into two pieces again.

"Say it," he muttered to Harry, "I'm doomed."

Harry struggled to think of something to comfort his friend but failed. He nodded. "You're doomed."

I shook my head at them and went to join my friends at our table.