~ quarantasette ~

Switzerland, October 2019

The young couple was sitting on the colourful carpet in the kids' room in the Vettel's residence. The twins were occupying the floor with them since they were all together building houses from LEGO.

The Italian was happy to spend some of her time with her brothers. She loved them dearly and was a bit ashamed she didn't get to spend as much time as she would like with them.

Pia couldn't help but notice Charles' enthusiasm. He seemed to be enjoying this playful activity as much as the children did.

"You're enjoying this a lot, aren't you?" The Italian asked her fiancé as she adored him.

Charles, fully absorbed in building a colourful LEGO tower, looked up with a bright smile when Pia addressed him. His eyes sparkled with excitement, mirroring the enthusiasm of the twins.

"Yeah, I am," the Ferrari driver replied, his voice laced with cheerfulness. "I can't wait to do it with our kids once."

"Have you- Have you already thought about it?"

Pia's question seemed to catch Charles slightly off guard. He paused for a moment, laying down a LEGO brick as he considered his response. His smile dimmed a bit as he spoke, "Well, yeah, I mean, I've always wanted a family. I've always wanted a family with you."

"Oh," Pia, on the other hand, seemed taken aback by his words.

"You know, two or three little Leclercs, running around our house in Italy. Wouldn't it be amazing?"

Pia felt a pang in her chest as Charles painted such a vivid picture of their future together. She had always known that he wanted children but hearing him express it with such enthusiasm made the idea more tangible and, at the same time, daunting.

"I mean, it does sound lovely," she admitted with a forced smile, though her hesitation was apparent. It wasn't like she didn't want to have children, but it was too soon, and she was afraid. She was afraid she would be a bad mother. She was afraid her kids would have the same childhood that she had, and she would hate herself for it.

So, hearing her fiancé, painting such a vivid picture of their future with kids made her hesitate. Maybe it would be better not to have kids.

Charles looked at her, concern replacing the initial excitement in his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she smiled weakly. "Just thinking about it and about the names, Lord Perceval," she tried to joke about it, so she made the atmosphere pleasant again.

He reached out to gently ruffle her hair. "We have time to think about it, mia gioia."

---

"Do you want to come to Japan with me?" The Monegasque asked his fiancée. They were sitting outside in a gazebo with warm blankets over their legs and two cups of hot coca Gianna made them. As Charles asked, he looked away from Pia.

"I don't-" the Italian began to respond, but the voice of her fiancé interrupted her.

"Would you come with me?" Charles corrected himself. He wanted her to come. "Please."

"Char," Pia sighed and placed her hand on his thigh underneath the blanket. It was tough for her.

"It would be nice to have you there." It was a rather quiet plea that left Charles' lips. He didn't want to come there alone. Last year, Charlotte was with him.

Pia knew, that coming there would be tough for her, and she didn't know if she was ready, but she wanted to do it for Charles. He helped her so much already, so she felt like there was a time to pay him back a bit.