Chapter Forty Eight

Start from the beginning

Lonnie loved watching him try new things they got for Jaxson, even going as far as to call Jay their son's 'taste tester' which was a title Jay wore with pride.

"You know, I have to say things have really changed," Ben said as they all sat down. They knew the kids would come over if they got hungry but they usually knew when sandwiches were available. If anything, the little toddlers didn't want Mal and Jay drinking all the juice pouches. "Us being parents? Feels weird not being able to summon Emir and Akiho just by saying their names anymore..."

"Papa! Mama!"

"Maybe you can't summon us Ben, but we can always be summoned," Akiho said as he looked over at Elle. "I can go if you want."

"I should go too," Elle said with a small chuckle. "After all, no one wants you to panic again."

"You panic one time," Akiho said, shaking his head in amusement. "Emir, you coming?"

"Might as well," Emir nodded as he got up. "I didn't hear Ethan calling me but that doesn't mean he doesn't need me. Emma, are you okay—?"

"Emir, again, I'm pregnant, not unable to move," Emma said, shaking her head as she got up. "And if you honestly think I'm not going to see if my son needs me, especially when I'm only in my first trimester, you've got another thing coming."

"I still can't believe you're pregnant again," Ben said. "Do you know how odd it's going to be not having a kid for your kid to shadow since Effy and Reese will be two years older than your kid?"

"Eh, I'm sure you and Mal will surprise us with a kid long before your five year goal," Emma shook her head. "Now come on, time to see which one of our children need us."

"Is it bad parenting that we left them unsupervised?" Ben asked Mal.

"They were with Estelle and Nyx," Mal pointed out. "Plus you kept the extra guards after what happened when we left the hospital bringing the twins home. They've been patrolling out here in shifts and we made sure that Effy and Reese know all of the faces of the guards so no one could try to sneak in by pretending to be one of the guards or a new hire."

"I'm so proud," Akiho said and Ben shook his head.

"You are aware I had guards back when we were teens right?"

"Oh I know," Akiho nodded as they grew close to the group of toddlers. "You just didn't use them."

He grew quiet as Emily came toddling over to him; tears in her eyes and her quick pace making it clear she was upset.

"What's wrong my little snow angel?" Akiho said, kneeling down to wrap her up in his arms.

"I...I made the icies again," Emily sniffed.

"Were you hurt?"

"...No..."

"That's a good thing," Elle said. "Remember? You promised papa that you'd use your powers."

"But...mama, Tan licked the icies! His tongue got sticked!"

Emir's head sprung up as he heard the toddlerfied version of his son's name and Ben bit his lip to avoid laughing at his internal thought comparing one of his best friends to a merecat.

"No one's tried to do a fireball to melt it yet, have they?" Ben asked instead. Did either of his kids know how to do a fireball? He wasn't sure. But he knew it'd be their luck that it would be this moment that they'd try and they'd be dealing with worse than just a stuck tongue.

"No Unca Ben," Emily shook her head.

"Well then good thing we have someone skilled at controlling fireballs," Ben said, grinning over at Mal.