Chapter Five

Hades sighed as he stared at the golden gates of Olympus. It'd been Persephone's suggestion, that now that Hades was to be a grandfather, he'd have something in common with his brothers. He could use that to bridge the divide and finally end the eons old feud between the three of them.

Honestly Steph, I'd like to remind you that I am still talking to at least one of my brothers, Hades thought but didn't move to open the gates. The last time he was on Olympus was...well it was Wonderboy's birthday party.

"...Hades?"

Oh speak of the devil, Hades thought as he came face to face with his nephew. "Hercules. I'm surprised to see you on Olympus."

"Macaria brought her kids up to meet mother and father so she invited me as well," Hercules explained.

"No nut-Meg?"

"Meg wasn't feeling well," Hercules explained but Hades could see through the lie. After all, no mortals allowed on Mt. Olympus and Meg was many things but she was definitely still mortal.

"Well...I hope she feels better soon," Hades said, breaking the slightly awkward silence that'd fallen between nephew and uncle.

"Thank you," Hercules said and then paused. "And um...I realized that I never thanked you. For kidnapping me I mean."

"....I'm sorry, what?"

"Well...if you, or rather your imps, hadn't kidnapped me and turned me mortal, I wouldn't have gone on my journey to become a hero and thus met Meg and then my kids wouldn't have been born and neither would my grandchildren."

"...and you're thanking me?"

Have I fallen down the rabbit hole as the kids like to say? Hades thought, still staring at Hercules in unabashed shock.

"Well yes," Hercules nodded, as if the answer should have been obvious to Hades. "My kids are amazing and honestly I couldn't imagine life without Gwendolyn and Markos in it."

"Those are Macaria's kids?" Hades asked. They'd received a letter with the photos and birth announcements but Hades didn't really pay it any mind especially since Hadie was closer to Herkie than Macaria. Plus, the babies were Zeus's great-grandchildren after all.

Okay, so maybe Persephone was right about the burying the hatchet regarding the feud.

Hercules nodded. "Gwendolyn Megara and Markos Gil."

Well give the son of Gaston credit where it's due, at least he didn't have his son share his first name like some other fathers I know, Hades thought.

"Hercules? Where've you wandered off to? Oh there you are! Is someone at the gate...?"

Hades sighed as he stood face to face with his little brother for the first time in years. He knew this would be fairly awkward but he didn't expect it to be this awkward.

"Hello Zeus," Hades said, trying to keep his voice neutral.

"What...what are you doing here Hades?" Zeus asked as Hercules seemed to slip away from the conversation. Probably to go be with his daughter and grandchildren but Hades wasn't entirely sure.

In all honesty, Hades didn't blame his nephew for leaving. If it were up to Hades, he too would have chosen the sweet embrace of family and grandchildren over staying and watching a potentially awkward conversation unfold.

Though with Zeus being the way that he was, Hades would have bet good money any conversation would have ended up in a shouting match...and that was probably not a good thought to have when on a mission to reunite with his brother.