𝐶𝘩𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑂𝑛𝑒.

Start from the beginning

The slightest of smiles graced her face when she caught sight of the boy. Luke was one of the people she arrived at camp with and one of her only friends she had there. He was a son of Hermes and also her mentor in swordsmanship, as he was the best of the best. She could only hope to be as good as him one day.

     Arabella turned, about to head back to her cabin, but jumped when she saw a familiar dark-skinned girl with long dreads pulled into a ponytail standing in front of her.

     Annabeth Chase, her best friend and a daughter of Athena. She had also arrived at camp with her and they had been really close ever since. She was the only one Arabella felt she could truly trust—other than Luke and Grover, of course.

     "And where have you been?" Annabeth asked with crossed arms and a raised brow. It made Arabella feel like she had gotten caught doing something she shouldn't be doing and was about to be scolded for it.

     She raised a brow back at the girl. "Am I being interrogated right now?"

     "Yes."

     Arabella let out a small chuckle at the bluntness of her friend. "You know, just the usual." She shrugged, holding out her journal in front of her. She knew it would be enough of an answer.

     Annabeth looked down at it and shook her head, letting out a breathy laugh. "I should have known. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a daughter of Demeter."

     The daughter of Aphrodite playfully rolled her eyes. She'd be lying if she said she hadn't gotten that one before.

     She began to walk toward the cabins as Annabeth fell into step beside to her.

     "So, what'd you find this time?" the daughter of Athena asked, tapping her finger on the journal in the girls hand.

     "Not sure yet," Arabella replied. "I wasn't able to finish my sketch."

     Annabeth hummed in response. A comfortable silence filled the air around the two as they continued to walk side by side, but Arabella didn't miss the intelligent grey eyes that kept glancing over at her. At one point, she was able to catch them in her own gaze.

"You alright, Annie? You look like you have something you want to say," she said. She had known Annabeth long enough to know when she had something on her mind.

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just...well—" She paused, seemingly going over what she wanted to say in her head. If there was one thing to know about children of Athena, it's that they were always perfectly calculated in whatever they did—always one step ahead—even in conversations.

"Well...?"

     "I have a feeling they're coming soon." She stopped walking and turned to Arabella. "The one? I can just feel it."

     The brunette looked at Annabeth for a second, processing the information before looking around to see if anyone was close enough to overhear them. When she was sure nobody was, she looked back at the girl and let out a long sigh.

     "Seriously, Annabeth? You've been saying the same thing for the past two years," she said in a hushed tone.

     "No I haven't." She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. Arabella gave her a look, which made her rethink what she had just said. "...Okay, maybe I have—but it's different this time! The nightmares are more...vivid, more frequent, just—more. Aren't yours?"