Chapter 28

The riders filled the yard, their horses neighing, their outfits shining bright in the morning light. The royal hunting party was quite extensive. Apart from the hunters, there were dozens of servants, valets and even cooks. Reijo was there, too, standing next to a rider in a colorful outfit, holding his fidgeting horse by the bridle, throwing his head back in laughter at something the man was saying to him.

Dusan had a hard time reconciling this new image with the young airie he had first glimpsed in the forest years ago. Now, Reijo looked like he belonged in the royal court, had never worn any clothes that were less than exquisite, had never stained his shining leather boots by stepping on a dirt road.

Dusan looked at the servants who gathered around him to see the royal party off. Somehow, he always ended up amongst the servants. He could have gone to stand with Reijo, but when he did that, it still felt as if he was only a servant accompanying his master. He couldn't connect with these people. He didn't know what allowed Reijo to slip into this new role so easily, but whatever it was, Dusan didn't have it in him. He'd grown up in a village, surrounded by simple, straightforward people. The opulence and the complexity of this place felt alien.

Reijo had grown up in the forest, too, with barely any contact with anyone, yet he'd always been special. Dusan couldn't say that about himself. Was that all he could be now—a servant? They had been equals before they'd arrived here, but now, Reijo was changing while Dusan remained the same.

His eyes found Tobias, standing away from the riders. The man sure liked to keep his distance. Dusan only wished he would keep away from Reijo as well. Reijo had been visiting the healer every day, learning to make potions and ointments, and as much as Dusan tried to keep his jealousy at bay, he couldn't help but wonder if that was all that the two had been doing together. Reijo and Tobias were both special. Each time he thought about it, it stabbed him anew. It was him who'd brought Reijo here, and he'd been regretting it more and more each day.

Reijo was walking across the yard now, heading towards Dusan, a smile still lingering on his lips from the conversation he'd just had.

"Ah, what a nice day," he breathed out, stopping next to Dusan, turning to look at the riders. "I wish I could go with them, but I need more riding lessons." His hand slid into Dusan's wide sleeve, touching his fingers. The contact relieved some of Dusan's tension. Reijo was still willing to stand with him, and to hold his hand, for everyone to see. Reijo was still his. Dusan suppressed the urge to look at Tobias, to make sure he saw this, too.

"So," came a voice, and he saw with a start, that the king was riding slowly towards them. "Any new predictions I should know about?"

"Nothing, your majesty." Reijo's fingers left Dusan's, and he bowed. "You will have a marvelous weather for the next three days. I hope the hunt will be successful."

The king gave a satisfied nod. Then, he bent a little in the saddle, reaching down, cupping Reijo's cheek. Dusan tensed, but he knew better than to say anything.

"How do you know those things?" the king said, eyeing Reijo. "How do you do it? Is it there, the talent?" He tapped Reijo on the forehead with his index finger. "Or is it in your bones indeed?"

"That's how it feels," Reijo said cautiously. "I wish I had an answer for your majesty, but I really can't explain it."