Chapter 24

The palace was majestic. The ceilings were so high that Dusan's head spun each time he looked at the paintings decorating them. The supporting pillars stood taller than trees, straight and embellished with carved ornaments. The walls, decorated with frescoes, were pierced by tall, narrow windows through which stabs of light fell on the intricate floor tiles. Traveling salesmen who'd visited Dusan's village had talked of such places, yet seeing this with his own eyes was a different story. He could imagine now what those salesmen must have thought of his village with its dirty huts and simple inhabitants, and he felt a pang of embarrassment. His people must have looked like complete savages to those who had seen places like this, interacted with the men like the one now sitting on the throne, eyeing the presents laid out in front of him.

The king had a thin face and sharp, dark eyes. He looked past his prime, but not too old—perhaps about Borwin's age. He wore a dress that resembled in style what Evander had gotten for Reijo, yet instead of the modest blues, the royal garment sported bold colors, red and yellow, dotted with sparkling stones.

The king nodded at each new item presented and put in front of him, his restless eyes moving about Evander's entourage, skipping Dusan a few times, repeatedly pausing on Reijo.

Wearing his new outfit, Reijo stood behind Evander, next to Dusan. As instructed, they both tried to keep their eyes down, and their hands to the sides of their bodies. They exchanged a few glances while Evander was speaking, and Dusan could see in Reijo's eyes the same nervousness that he himself was feeling. Dusan at least had lived with other people, while to Reijo, who had spent most of his life in a forest, this bustling city and this opulent palace probably seemed completely incomprehensible.

Whatever Reijo felt, he looked like he belonged here. With his face washed and his hair brushed and arranged by the shopkeeper, wearing his rich-looking clothes, he could pass for one of the members of nobility who stood behind and around the throne, watching the guests. Dusan had received a new outfit, too, but it looked way simpler than the one Reijo had gotten. For Evander, Reijo was the main investment.

"What about this?" said the king, interrupting Evander mid-speech. Dusan glanced up and saw the king pointing at Reijo. "Another present?"

Evander glanced back. "Him? I'm afraid not, your majesty."

"Too bad. I assumed it's some kind of exotic bed-slave that you brought me."

"He's a free man, your majesty," Evander said carefully, "but I did bring him to introduce him to you. He's special." Evander paused for effect. "Willing to offer you his services."

"Oh?" The king's piercing gaze bore into Reijo who was still obediently looking at the floor. "What services?"

"The boy can predict weather," Evander said. "Storms and droughts, winds and hurricanes—quite useful for agricultural planning, or just ahead of a trip, should your majesty decide to take one. He's most precise with his predictions. While traveling with us, he never got it wrong, so my first thought was that I ought to bring him to you."

"Weather," the king said. "How do you predict it, boy?"