" Doll

" Doll.. " I said softly, and she continued gazing at me for approval.

" Words cannot express how beautiful you look. " And it was true.

" Are you sure? I-it's just that- " She began as she looked down at her dress, but I placed my hand under her chin, forcing her to look up.

" You look beautiful, Ingrid—nothing less and even more at that. " I muttered, and she nodded softly before whispering her next words.

" Kiss, please," She whispered, and I chuckled, placing a kiss on her plump lips. She wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me in, and I opened my eyes as I pulled away.

" Ingrid, baby, we have a reservation to get to.. If we begin your little kisses here, we may never make it to the restaurant. " I smiled, and she nodded as she grabbed my hand, allowing me to lead her out of the apartment.

She talked about the flowers the complex had planted, the changing season, her favorite show, and the new book she was reading. And I listened. I listened intently from the walk to the car and even inside the restaurant when she began looking at the menu. Some would think she was simply mindlessly talking, but I wanted to hear those thoughts. I wanted her to be comfortable enough to share with me what she wanted to share and whatever she didn't want to share.. but that would take time and trust.

" Hi, my name is Tina, and I will be your server for tonight. Can I get you started with any drinks while you look over the menu? " The waitress asked.

" A glass of water will be fine for now, Ingrid? " I asked, and she nodded.

" I'll have the same. " She requested, and the waitress walked away with a nod.

" Do you like apple picking? " She asked me, and I smiled.

" I've never been, doll. " I replied, and she nodded.

" Can that be our next date? A-and I can get us matching sweaters, too? " She asked, and I grabbed her hand from across the table as I kissed it softly.

" Dollbaby? " I muttered, and she blushed at the name as I continued. " We're still on our first date. "

" I know.. sorry. I was just a bit excited. " She said, and I chuckled as I rubbed her soft palm.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves.. although, matching sweaters? Can we at least have matching scarves, too? " I teased, and the smile came back to her face as the waitress brought over our water. After we ordered, I found myself caressing her hand from across the table softly as I noticed something.

All the excessive conversations and blushing were because she was nervous. For a first date, I could only imagine that she wanted everything to go absolutely perfectly. Deciding to help her with her nervousness, I made her stand up as she looked rather confused. Pulling a chair beside me, I made her sit down, to which she simply wrapped her hand around my bicep and leaned on my shoulder comfortingly.