🌊| Poguelandia, thats what we called it. (40)

Start from the beginning

"Jeez, Darl." He laughs.

I smile and pick up a random stick. "You seemed lonely."

He focuses back on his stick and continues carving with his hunting knife. "Just carvin'."

I tuck my hair behind my ear. "I saw your flag."

He cracks a grin. "You dig?"

"Hell yeah, just as I imagined." I nod quickly, whipping out a switch blade and gently scraping away the first layer of wood.

"Good, I made it this morning cause I had nothing better to do." He explains.

I cock and eyebrow. "Wait, you're meaning to tell me you were up before I was?" JJ has never been a morning person. He'd sleep until 4pm without waking up once.

"I was up just before sunrise." He says. "God you should see it, it's so fucking cool Darl."

I blink. "That must've been the first ever sunrise you've witnessed."

He chuckles.

I tie on a little piece of fabric to hold the sensitive parts together. "Hey, J?"

He looks over at me.

"When do you think we'll get .. rescued?" I ask. What Kie said about rescuers coming earlier got me thinking.

"Rescue?" He laughs. "From what? From... from paradise?"

I tilt my head downwards with a pure smile.

"I'm not going back. Ever. I mean, look around. We got everything we need. Right here." He points, firm with his words.

I swallow. "Just like we talked about."

I look up at him, with him already looking and trying to capture the small smirk on his face. "Exactly."

"How's yours looking? You ready to provide for the family?" He asks, touched the pointy part of his stick.

I dig mine into the ground. "Yup!"

"Let's go kill something." We stand up in unison.

"Alright, you don't have to say it like that." I gag.

"Yeah. That's exactly what we're gonna do." He walks out onto the flat sand.

"Alright." I sigh. "It just sounds so.. barbaric.. like."

"Well, that's the circle of life, Darling. Unless you wanna eat coconuts forever." He shrugs, looking over his shoulder at me.

I scratch my nose as we walk out onto the swash. "After the past month, I think I'm good on coconuts."

I grip my stick as the water hits my feet.

"You ready?" JJ asks.

I huff. "Yeah.."

"All right, remember, watch your shadow. They see that, they're gone." He explains as I watch out for any fish lurking around.

"All right. Here we go." He gets ready to stab into something.

I nod, holding my stick behind my shoulder and scanning.

I slightly glance over at JJ, and stare for a minute.

"Just like we practiced, okay?" He says.

I smile a little and nod when he catches me staring.

He looks me up and down and nod. "All right." With another one of his smirks.

I focus back on my possible dinner for tonight, getting a bit anxious if I miss anything.

JJ points out to the water. "Hey. Hey, Darl. Darl, Darl, Darl, Darl, It's a skate." He says.