⁶⁶. 𝑀𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑖𝑡 𝑇ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒

Start from the beginning

But when (Y/N) opened the door, she was welcomed with Natasha's familiar, green eyes. Her hair was longer than the last time she's seen her, the redhead roots popping through the blonde.

"(Y/N), hey," she greeted in her usual voice. "Long time, no see."

Her eyes trailed to the jacket she was wearing over her body. "It's 75 degrees out. Are you sick?"

"Hi, Nat," (Y/N) greeted, mostly out of breath due to the contractions. "What are you doing here? Now is not a really good time — "

"Did you forget? It's our monthly catching up date," Natasha reminded her, leaning on the doorframe.  "We have it scheduled for today."

"Uh," (Y/N) made a sound from the back of her throat, finally remembering the date. She mentally cursed herself. "I must've forgot."

"I see," Natasha eyed her up and down, taking a step inside the house. "You're all distracted with metal man that you don't have time for your best friend anymore."

"Oh, it's not that," she desperately shook her head, gritting her teeth to stop the groan from leaving her lips. "Come in. Just stay right there."

(Y/N) tightened the jacket over her body, pushing past Natasha to run toward the kitchen, careful not to make her movements too harsh.

"I'm gonna go fix us some tea in the kitchen."

"Okay, then," Natasha eyed her suspiciously before nodding. "See, that wasn't so hard."

Natasha sat on the couch in the living room as (Y/N) headed toward the kitchen. She hoped Natasha wouldn't turn to the side at any moment, since the jacket wasn't going to cover her pregnant stomach for much longer. She reached for two cups in a cabinet and set them down before filling them with water.

"So, how's the married life going?" Natasha asked from the living room, grabbing the remote to turn on the TV.

(Y/N) grabbed the tea bags from another cabinet. "Oh, you know. Just — " Another contraction hit her hard. " — FINE!"

The strain caused (Y/N)'s entire body to ignite in her classic, blinding glow. Since the material wasn't strong enough to sustain the intense body heat, it caught on fire and (Y/N) let out a yell before shrugging it off her shoulders and placing it in the sink. Smoke escaped from the rinsed jacket and this made her panic since now she didn't have anything to cover her state and because the burnt out smell might distract Natasha.

She gasped and searched for the closest thing she could find, which was a 'Kiss the Chef' apron. She sighed and placed it over her head, tightening the straps behind her back as she tried to find a believable excuse for when Natasha questioned her change of outfits.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes, just making two cups of tea!"

"I'll come help," Natasha stood up from the couch and started to make her way to the kitchen.

"No!" (Y/N) immediately panicked. "I mean, no, thank you!"

Natasha marched over to the kitchen and her eyebrows furrowed when she saw the apron over her friend's form. (Y/N) realized that the apron didn't fully hide the belly so she quickly reached over to grab a bowl of fruit that sat on the kitchen counter before Natasha could fully take in her appearance.