Gale is the one to answer. "I saw him go upstairs just as you sat down with Shadowheart." He looks to me and says, "He didn't hear."

"Thank The Gods." I let out a breath. "I was so close to fighting the Blade of Frontiers."

"Wyll can be a right prick sometimes." Karlach nods in his direction and lifts a mug of liquid to her lips, pausing. "You know, with the whole hunting me down thing."

"I should go find Astarion." I say, Karlach smiles at me, and Gale touches my shoulder in acknowledgment.

Even with my injuries healed, my legs burn as I ascend the stairs. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to find as I come up to the shared room we rented just before we left for the crypts.

My hand hovers at the door, my heart nearly beating out of my chest as my fingers graze the latch. I inhale and open it to find Astarion resting on the bed, his back flush to the headboard as he stares out in front of him.

"Are you alright?" I ask.

Astarion looks over to me, his brows furrowing for a moment, then blinks away the expression, replacing it with something softer and kinder. "Yes." He pauses. "No, I don't think so."

I turn and go to close the door behind me.

"Don't leave." Astarion calls out, and the pain in his voice makes my heart ache.

I finish latching the door, locking it, and turn back to him. He visibly relaxes.

"Just locking the door." I smile softly.

His gaze follows me closely as I approach the other side of the bed. I don't just sit, but instead my body falls against the mattress. I shift and position myself so I'm sitting beside him, but not close enough to crowd him.

We sit in silence for a moment, then I look over to Astarion, noticing him staring down at my shoulder and the ruined leather sleeves.

"Would you like to talk about it?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"I'd rather not." He says, looking into my eyes.

Astarion watches me for a moment, then lays back, positioning himself lower against the pillows piled on the bed so that he's barely propped up.

I look down at him.

"Don't look at me like that." He smiles, opening his arms for me. "Come here."

I feel like I can finally let out the breath I have been holding as I shift on the soft mattress, tucking myself against him so my head rests against his chest, making a point not to nudge him with my horns.

One of his arms wraps around me, pulling me close, and his hand immediately goes to my hair, gently running his fingers through it slowly and almost rhythmically.

I wake up with a start, unaware of the moment I fell asleep, just knowing that something is different. Astarion is no longer beside me, and I begin to anxiously search the room for his presence. I find him standing at the open window, looking out into the night's sky. His body framed by the moonlight spilling into the room.

"Shh.. shh.. shh." Astarion murmurs as he turns to me, quickly crossing the room. "Don't worry. I'm here."

"How long was I asleep?" I ask, looking up at him.

He sits beside me on the bed and looks back to the window. "The entire day, I'm afraid. The sun just set a few moments ago."

"Did you rest at all?"

Astarion reaches and runs his finger along my jaw, his eyes searching my face. He shakes his head. "No. I spent the entire day thinking." He chuckles, "And watching you sleep."