-4-

f o u r

It's been a week since the move in.Charlene and Amalyn said nothing as Cara packed her small bag of things,her perfume bottle of tedious medication included.They didn't even watch her leave.

In that week,Cara and Reece have actually gotten along-on talking terms.Reece had always been the one starting it up,and Cara had answered in "yes"s and "no"s.She had wanted to ask why he wasn't living with his father,but never had the courage to.

Reece,on the other hand,was overflowing with questions.There was one night,their third night in the apartment,when Reece had noticed something particular.He was behind the door-the door to Cara's bedroom.He stood behind the doorway,watching her,her back facing him.

He could hear the muffled words from the other side of her conversation.

"You incompetent child!If you don't answer right now-"Reece cringed when he heard glass break,followed by a few colourful words.

The woman on the other side could be heard again."You're with that rich boy aren't you,I didn't raise a golddigger,Caralyn."Reece heard her sigh,and the slight movement of Cara's back stiffening didn't go unnoticed.

He almost felt guilty for her.But what could she have done wrong?She was just a little girl who made a powerful friend.He moved away from the doorway.

Reece had gone to bed late that night,and before his slumber he had heard Cara open his door.

She took a wary step towards him;Reece layed stiff in his spot,and closed his eyes.He heard her sigh,and shuffled out of the room.

######

"Please,Hurry!"A woman's voice cried.Rapid,rolling wheels clattered on the white tiled floors.It was all white.Even the people were glowing.He lifted his hand and..

Reece woke up with a jolt.He checked his watch-Five A.M.Just as he did he heard steel drop.Reece sat up.His eyes widened and ran a hand through his hair nervously.

Was that-? She wouldn't go that far.Reece let a short breath out.Was it a bad idea?Did she hate me that much?

Scrambling out of bed he swung open his door and ran to the kitchen.

Cara's back was faced to him;she facing the countertop.Reece's eyes scanned to behind her,on the counter.

Blood.

Reece jumped and reached out,hand on her shoulder,and turned her around to face him.Her whole finger was bleeding,a thin strip turning thick along the slender finger.The blood was drying up,but a deep cut.Reece sighed in relief,then turned to horror when Cara started to go limp.What's wrong with her?What do I do?

Cara's eyes were droopy,almost lifeless,she felt hands cup the space between her face and neck and hitched her face up.

"Look at me."Reece said quickly.Dropping one hand from her face he quickly grabbed the nearest paper towel,wrapped it around her finger.

"Stiches."He said,his thumb tracing her jawline to keep her awake."You need them."He then looked at her,his face a mix of curiosity and anger,the face that an adult makes when they scold a child.

"What were you doing?"His voice low.He finally looked at the counter.

Blueberry pancakes?She already had the batter ready,blueberries in another bowl.The cut strawberries and the blood on it had an uncanny colour now.

But none of that phased Reece.He had his eyes zoned in on the cookbook.It was his mothers. 'Blueberry pancakes for two' The 'two' was underlined with a curve followed by a heart.

She was making them for the both of us.Reece thought.She was trying to prove herself to him.He looked back at Cara,and he was right,Cara was sweating pinballs,and by that he knew she wasn't used to cooking.His lips curved into a small smile.

Cara caught the sight of it,and it was beautiful.

#####

"Do you usually come to hospitals?"Cara asked in a small voice.

"Barely."Reece mumbled."What about you?"

"Miss Grace?"Cara looked at Reece,and stood up at the calling of her name.Reece stood up to enter as well,but the nurse blocked his way."You can't possibly be her boyfriend,can you?"The nurse trailed a finger up his arm."But well,you can always come to me if you get tired of it."She purred.

Reece pushed her habd away."Actually,she's my fiance.Thanks for your concern,though."He said and passed through.

"There."The doctor,Pauline said.She smiled at Reece."Your fiance here is very brave.She didn't even move an inch"Reece returned a smile back."Thank you,doctor."

Fiance.A beautiful word that she didn't deserve the title of.Something tickled her inside when Reece said it,and when it was directed to her,and not the obvious nurse that was trying to mooch off him.But of course,what couldn't she expect from Reece Adams?

Cara stood up,and looked at her finger.They were only very small stiches,and they wouldn't leave that big of a scar.

"No!"Cara and Reece heard a voice down the hall.Cara tugged on Reece's sleeve.

"I know that voice."

They walked down the hall carefully and peeked through.

"Miss Grace,you need the shot."Amylyn shook her head vigorously,then began in a hushed tone,but not soft enough for the both of them to not hear."I need this,doc.It helps me.I f-feel so good when I do it.Ask my dealer s-"

Cara had never seen her picture perfect sister like this.And drugs?How did she get them?

Cara felt Reece's hand tug on her waist.How did it get there?!"Let's go.You don't need to see this."Reece whispered.

She stopped him."Hold on,I want to know,"she said,and they remained out fo sight,beside the doorway.

"Does your mother know?"The doctor asked.Amy stared at the doctor.She grabbed the comb on the bed beside her and ran it through her her bobbed curly hair.With shaking hands,she held the comb in her lap,then spoke.

"N-No.But I have a plan.A plan I'm not sharing yet."

Cara and Reece widened their eyes.Of course she had a plan.The Grace's were broke.She wasn't going to be able to pay back whoever her dealer is.Cara felt her hair at the back of her neck stiffen.

If someone were to tell,her college application to Yale would be tranished.Maybe this was temporary,and would stop by next month to finish up her piano grades.

Or maybe this had gone on for months.

What ever her sister was planning,Cara had to stay away from it.