Chapter 24: My House is Your House and My Family is Your Family

"Meow!" Ponkan screamed on Andy's face to get his attention. Andy patted Ponkan's head and put the cat on his shoulder so he could help Niki out of the car. Hila-hila naman ni Niki palabas ang travel litter box mula sa backseat.

Niki pushed the travel litter box into Andy's hand and went towards the trunk to get her luggage. Si Andy naman ay lumapit sa driver's seat para kausapin si PJ. PJ rolled the window down, grinning. Cathleen, his girlfriend, waved at Andy from the passenger seat.

"Uh... thanks for taking her home," sabi niya sa kaibigan. He still hasn't recovered completely from the surprise.

"Merry Christmas, bro," sagot ni PJ sa kanya. "Pupunta pala kami dyan bukas ah. Sina Jewel din."

Tumango siya. "Text nyo 'ko kung ano'ng gusto nyong inumin."

PJ laughed. "Bro, don't be too obvious."

Lumayo nang bahagya si Andy mula sa bintana ng sasakyan nang lumapit si Niki. "Hey, thanks for the ride."

PJ made a saluting gesture. "See you guys tomorrow," he told them before driving away.

Andy cradled Ponkan on his arm and looked down on her luggage. Isang maliit na mint green luggage lang ang dala nito. Saka isang backpack. "Yan lang ang dala mo?"

"Yeah. Biglaan din kasi 'to," sagot nito sa kanya.

"Akin na," sabi niya, offering his one hand to pull the luggage while the other was holding Ponkan, who was looking too comfortable draped on Andy's arm.

"Kaya ko na. Dalhin mo na lang yung cat litter."

Niki pulled the luggage towards the driveway. Sumunod naman siya rito. Imogen, their golden retriever, walked through the small opening of the door towards Niki. He barked a couple of times before recognizing her scent. Niki patted the dog's head when he started wagging her tail. Yumuko pa ito para pisil-pisilin ang pisngi ng aso. Ponkan, on the other hand, didn't like the presence of the dog, probably being his first time seeing one. He kept hissing on swatting the air. Mabuti na lamang at hawak-hawak ito ni Andy. But the cat's claws were already digging into his skin.

"Ate Niki!"

Sunod-sunod nang lumapit sa may pintuan ang pamilya niya. His mother, who was cooking in the kitchen, even ran towards the door while holding a ladle. Ponkan shut up when he saw everyone. Na-overwhelm sa dami ng tao.

Andy gave the litter box to Angelo habang si Antoneth naman ay inagaw ang pusa sa kanya. Ponkan looked a little helpless when he was separated from him, but thankfully, he was socialized enough that he wouldn't show his claws to strangers outright. Bini-baby na ito kaagad ng kapatid niya.

He took the luggage from Niki when she was pulled away by his mom into the kitchen. Iniakyat niya ang gamit nito sa kwarto ni Antoneth.

"I like what you've done with the house, Tita," he heard Niki say when he got back down.

"Really? Kasi ayaw ng mga yan ng kulay, e. I was thinking of changing it to a more muted color."

"Hindi naman po masakit sa mata. Muted din naman yung orange. It looks refreshing," Niki told her.

"Kiss ass," bulong niya nang makalapit dito. He grinned when Niki glared at her.

His mother scolded him before bringing out five plates of different foods out for Niki. Ube halaya. Biko. Lumpia na kaluluto lang. Pati siomai na pinagtulungan nilang magkakapatid na balutin kagabi. And of course, a plate of spaghetti.

"Mga tira-tira lang 'yan,ha," sabi nito kay Niki. "Maya-maya ko pa lulutuin yung mga pang noche buena, pero may buko salad na sa ref." Andy opened the fridge to show her how much food was in it. Niki looked excited.