Chapter 5: Little Ponkan

"Are you sure this is okay with you?" Niki asked for the fifth time that day. Andy just rolled two big luggages inside the condo.

He sighed exasperatedly. "Why do you keep asking if you're not gonna believe the answer?"

Niki pressed her lips together. "Because it sounds like a made-up excuse."

"Okay. Fine. If you don't want to believe me then I guess I'll just go back and beg the landlord to give me my room back." He started pulling the luggages towards the door. "And you're gonna lose your unit and my rent's gonna double. Great."

Andy opened the door and was about to walk out when Niki grabbed his arm to stop him. She pulled him back inside and even took the handle of the luggage from his hand. Nakangiti siyang sumunod papunta sa dating kwarto ni Myles. Niki had already started cleaning up the room. Wala nang bedsheet at pillowcases sa higaan. Nakasalansan sa isang sulok ang mga gamit ni Myles.

"Ayoko nang masyadong maingay, ha. Yung aircon, hindi pwedeng nakabukas maghapon. I have a budget for the electric bill. So kapag lumampas sa allocated amount, ikaw ang magsu-shoulder ng excess. I know you're not a slob so it's not gonna be a problem, but keep your room clean and help out cleaning the shared spaces."

She turned and pointed to him. "You'll do the cooking."

"I'll teach you," he offered.

Niki responded by scrunching her nose. Just as Andy expected. Kung may ibang magluluto, hindi ito magtututo. Maybe if it was a life and death situation, she would start learning it. Pero ayos na rin siguro iyon. Kapag nag-aral si Niki na magluto, siya lamang ang pipilitin nitong tumikim noon. And he was pretty sure nothing good would come out of it.

Andy spent a few hours cleaning the room and decorating it to make it more his style. Nag-set up na rin siya ng workstation para sa trabaho niya sa Monday. Tahimik ang kwarto kapag nakasarado ang pinto at bintana. May balcony sa unit ni Niki pero nasa kwarto lang nito. Walang tape residue sa pader. Ayaw ni Niki ng kung ano-anong nakadikit sa pader. There were several potted plants in the bedroom and he was thinking of putting them in the living room since he's not responsible enough to remember to water the plants.

After putting all his things in place, Andy went out to the kitchen to cook dinner. Niki was watching TV. Kumakain ito ng pancit canton. Isang malaking bowl ang hawak nito. Napailing siya. Mabubutas na ang bituka nito sa kaka-canton araw-araw.

Andy approached her and took the fork and bowl from her hands. Niki complained but he was already eating the noodles.

"Magluluto na 'ko. Wag kang magpakabusog masyado," sabi niya pagkalunok ng pagkain.

"That's my dinner!" Niki told him.

Andy greedily shoveled forkfuls of the stolen food and almost choked because he forgot to chew. Niki ran towards him and kicked him in the shin when she saw the empty bowl. Gustuhin man niyang tumawa, hindi niya magawa dahil masusuka siya. He quickly headed to the fridge to get himself a glass of water. Nang mawala na ang bara sa lalamunan, muli niyang hinarap ang kaibigan.

"What are you gonna cook?"

"Pasta."

Tumabi si Niki sa kanya nang mailatag niya ang ingredients na gagamitin sa pagluluto. It's a simple pinoy-style spaghetti. Nakita kasi niyang may pasta na kasama sa mga ayuda na nakuha ni Niki. May hotdog sa ref. Canned mushrooms at corned beef sa cupboard. She even has beef, albeit unground.

While the beef was thawing, he started peeling the plastic wrap from the hotdogs.

"Need some help?" Niki asked. Nakatukod ang mga kamay nito sa counter.