Chapter 4: Keep Your Friends Close

Niki was comfortable with the setup that was caused by the pandemic. She hated commuting. She hated being in crowded spaces. She hated small talks and forced laughter at work. Kumportable siyang nasa bahay lang, mag-isa sa katahimikan. It was not even like she was completely isolated from the world. She had Andy. They were constantly talking. Hindi ito nauubusan ng kwento that kept her entertained. Her friends would also often reach out through video calls, something that quickly became the norm, even at work.

Araw-araw ding may meetings sa office.

It was not like she was completely detached from the world. Everything just became virtual. Nakaka-bore ding mag-isa sa condo, pero at least nakakalabas siya weekly para mag-grocery. Almost everything is closed, pero recently, pinayagan uli ang deliveries. Maaliwalas palagi ang paligid dahil wala masyadong tao. Marami ring establishments ang nagsara kaya limitado lang din ang options ni Niki pagdating sa pagkain.

It was then that she started missing her mother's cooking. At some point, na-tempt siyang mag-reach out para mangumusta, pero pinigilan niya ang sarili.

They were probably okay. Nandoon naman ang dalawa niyang kapatid para alagaan ang parents niya. The news of people dying, especially old and immuno-compromised people worried her, but it had been so long since she last communicated with her family. Parang ang hirap nang bumalik.

But all in all, she was doing okay.

That was until it was announced at work that they might lay off some people for cost-cutting purposes. Niki never took those performance metrics seriously. She knew she was doing a good job at work. Good, but not excellent. Her salary was just enough to cover the bills and occasionally allow her some luxury.

Umasa siyang magkaka-raise ngayong taon, pero ang nakuha niya... termination. After getting the news, it felt like the roof fell on her head and everything came crashing down. She found herself panicking. She was enveloped with a sense of dread when she began thinking about the bills she still had to pay and how hard it would be to get another job at that time when so many companies were laying off employees.

It was the fear brought about by the sudden loss of control. Kung anu-ano na agad ang pumasok sa utak niya noon. Dark thoughts. And before she could succumb to them, she decided to call Andy.

Nakakaisang katok pa lang si Andy nang bumukas ang pintuan ng condo unit ni Niki. Mugtong-mugto pa rin ang mga mata nito. Magulo ang buhok. Naiwan pa yata ang kapares ng suot na tsinelas kamamadali.

She burst into tears when she saw him. Yumakap ito sa kanya nang mahigpit. They awkwardly stood there while he was soothing her. Her cries echoed in the hallway and some curious neighbors took a peek.

"Let's go inside, hm?"

He moved them inside the unit and closed the door. Sumandal siya sa nakasaradong pinto, still wearing his backpack, and let her cry until she got tired of crying.

They stood there for about 20 minutes while her wails slowly turned into soft sobs. Ngalay na siya sa pag-alalay at paghagod sa likod nito pero wala naman siyang magawa kundi magtiis. The global pandemic clearly took its toll on Niki. Ito kasi ang panahon na nagsiuwian ang mga taong nagtatrabaho sa Maynila sa kani-kanyang pamilya. He was even planning on going home himself. Niki didn't want to go home. She was all alone. Tapos nawalan pa ito ng trabaho.

Basang-basa na ang damit ni Andy nang matapos itong umiyak. Good thing he brought a few changes of clothes.

"Okay ka na?" tanong niya rito.

Niki pulled away and wiped her tears with the sleeve of her shirt. "Sorry, basa na damit mo," she croaked.

"It's okay." He put his backpack on the sofa and took a shirt out. "Bihis lang ako."