Chapter 2: Dear Santa, Define "Nice"

September 1 pa lang ay maganda na ang mood ni Niki. It's Christmas Season in the Philippines. The malls have already set up their Christmas trees and various decorations. Christmas season also means one thing: money. People are generally more generous kapag malapit na ang pasko.

But Christmas season also reminds her that she will be spending another one alone. Will Andy go home on Christmas?

Napatingin siya sa phone nang bigla iyong tumunog. She removed her hand from the electronic mouse to pick it up. Andy was calling.

"What?"

"Were you about to call me?"

"No?" May plano ba siyang tumawag? She didn't even get to that thought when he called.

"Were you thinking about me? I just... had a sense that you were."

"You know this is getting kinda creepy."

Tumawa ito. "Maybe we're twins in our previous lives." Niki smiled at the notion. Probably. Kaya siguro pareho sila ng likaw ng bituka. Or at least they complement each other. Maybe it was the reason why she feels like Andy is her other half... in a familial way. "So what's up? You sound like you feel no joy at the moment."

"That's because I'm talking to you. You suck the joy out of anyone." He didn't retort but she knew he was grinning on the other line. "Sa'n ka magpapasko?"

"Sa 'min."

"Ah..."

"Di ka na naman uuwi?" She shook her head. "So wala kang plano sa pasko?"

"I'll stay at the condo all day and order something in. Watch Home Alone... cry myself to sleep..."

She heard him groan. He was probably rolling his eyes. "You are so dramatic."

"Hey, at least I won't spend so much money on gifts. Ikaw ewan ko kung paano ka makaka-survive with your 20 godchildren."

"Binigyan ko ng 5K si mama para bumili ng laruan sa Divi. I'm sure may sukli pa 'yon."

"Ano'ng gift mo sa 'kin?"

There was a long pause. "Friendship," Andy answered in all seriousness, which made her burst out laughing.

"You are so cheap!"

"Cheap?! Need I remind you na ako ang madalas gumastos sa mga gala natin? Remember the plane ticket you forgot to pay? Yung souvenirs mo sa Bangkok, sino ang bumili?"

Tumikhim siya. "I uh... actually need to get back to work. Bye."

"Nik–"

Nakangisi niyang ibinalik ang phone sa holder. She put the phone on DND mode because she knew Andy would call her back just to nag. But talking to him made her feel a little better.

To: Andy

I sent you something. It's 5 minutes out.

From: Andy

Bayad na?

To: Andy

Yuh

From: Andy

Okiee 😚

From: Andy

Anong meron?

To: Andy

Payment for all the inconvenience I've caused you. 🙂