15. a new seeker

[That afternoon, outside the castle, the students, Gryffindor and Slytherin, are lined up in two rows with brooms by their sides

[That afternoon, outside the castle, the students, Gryffindor and Slytherin, are lined up in two rows with brooms by their sides. The teacher, Madam Hooch, comes down the line. She has short hair and hawk yellow eyes.]

Hooch: Good afternoon, class.

Class: Good afternoon, Madam Hooch.

Hooch: Good afternoon, Amanda, good afternoon. [to the class] Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick. Come on now, hurry up. Stick your right hand over the broom and say, "Up."

Class: Up!

Annabeth furrowed her brows, looking between the two groups of first years who were separated by their house colors as well as their enmity. "Is it a good idea to pair Gryffindors and Slytherins for a flying lesson ?," she asked, even though she made sure not to look at Zeus. She didn't know how he felt about that many humans in his domain, especially when one of them had ended up giving birth to his nephew.

"It's never a good idea to pair them up. In any class," insisted Iolanthe. She wasn't prejudiced against Slytherin anymore, but there was something aout house rivalry that would probably never leave her.

Her son looked sick at the idea of her in the air – perhaps he was remembering each time he had entered his uncle's domain and how he had almost died because of it. "Maybe you should stay safely on the ground," he proposed. He wasn't the only worried one: even Poseidon looked ready to throw up at the sight of the woman he loved in possible danger.

[After Iolanthe said "Up"!, the broom immediately flies into her hand.]

Iolanthe: [amazed] Wow!

[Hermione stares at her as the class continues.]

Sirius grinned triumphally: his almost-brother had been a natural at Quidditch and he had no doubt the progeny of James Charlus Potter would be too. Still, Sirius Black had been the Gryffindor's Seeker and he was proud that she had taken up the mantle. "A natural," he added, looking at his daughter.

"I sense some jealousy...," mused Clarisse – ever the daughter of Ares who seeked to push people into conflict whenever she could.

Instead, Hermione snorted audibly. "It was just a bit annoying...," she started explaining. "I could study as much as I wanted and be the best student in my year theoretically, but Iolanthe always had this natural inclination towards magic. She doesn't need to train very much to be able to use a spell and she had this intrinsically part of her that was...magical even if her mother was a muggle-born." She immediately stopped talking: any mention of Lily and James could put her best friend in a bad mood, but apparently, the proximity with her child and Poseidon had eased her anxiety.