𝟏𝟐. MARKED

𝐒𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋

𝐒𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋

𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑒 . 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐝

"Bye, Stiles." The freeing air made my breath a white fog as I said goodbye to Stiles. Walking up my driveway, I pulled the brass key out of my pocket and slid it into the lock. I was greeted by the darkness and silence of my empty house. My parents were still out. Still. It had just past midnight and the silence of the house was burning a hole through me. As I took a few steps into the corridor of the house, my phone beeped in my pocket. I slid it out and read the text from my mother: Sorry honey, we won't be home tonight. Make sure to lock the doors. Love you.

"Of course." I scoffed, staring at the texts. I made my way up the stairs and into my lonely room. I flipped the lights on and sighed at the sight of my room. I hated being alone at night. It scared me, scared me even more now that I knew what was out there. My mind debated whether or not to call Stiles, asking him to sleep over, but then I remembered how upset he was from today. He was better off alone. I was too. There was no way I was asking Scott to come over; I didn't plan on talking at him again tonight. We both needed our space from each other. I kicked my shoes off and put them away in my closet. I flipped on the stereo plugged in with my iPod and played the playlist I usually did when I was sad. Sappy, yes, but it made me feel better. I plopped myself at the end of my bed and stared out the window into the blackness of the night. Overhead, the large full moon was shining in all its glory. It was hard to believe something so pretty could do such evil things to a person, cause them so much pain. I had to admit, it was nice being alone. Not to have to smile and look pleased; a relief to stare dejectedly out the window at the full moon and let just a few tears escape. My fingers ran over the cold, blank screen of my phone subconsciously as the thoughts of calling Stiles ran through my mind again. No, it was for the better. Minutes later, the screen lit up, the phone buzzing in my hand. The caller ID read 'Scott McCall' and underneath was a picture of us after one of the lacrosse games. It was one of my favorite pictures. My heart was screaming 'don't answer that jerk', but my mind said otherwise.

"What do you want, Scott?" I asked; my voice not sounding happy or angry, it was just...tired and sad. This was a bad idea, I went to go hang up, but I was stopped.

"Before you hang up, can I say something?" The boy knew me to well.

"What more can you possibly say?"

"That I'm sorry. I'm really, really, sorry. I'm sorry for trying to choke you, I'm sorry for yelling at you, I'm sorry for everything I did tonight. It was the full moon forcing me to do it, I would never do that to you." I was in no mood to argue about this any more tonight.