Chapter 3

Against your wishes, Ben escorts you home to grab your things to stay at their place.

"I'm not some baby that needs to be escorted everywhere."

"Who's the one with a black eye?"

You halt in your tracks, and turn around to look at him. "I thought you said you took care of it."

You step inside your house, and slip off your sandals.

"Do you want another black eye?"

"God, Ben, can you just shut up for once?"

He closes the door behind him. "I get it. You hate me. You can stop with the tough act now."

"I'm not putting on an act." You retort.

"What is it? You hate me for leaving?"

"I don't hate you," you say, "I just," you pinch the top of your nose because your feel tears coming, "never mind."

"I'm still me," he says, "just a little older."

"So you're just gonna leave again."

"Don't be like that."

"Just stop, Ben. I'm serious. I don't want to hear anymore from you, okay?" You reach past him to grab your backpack, but you can't.

He grabs you, then wraps his arms around you. He's warm, and his embrace is firm, yet gentle. "I'm sorry I left, okay?"

"You shouldn't be."

"Well I am. Your parents left a lot, didn't they?"

"Yeah."

"I know you," he says, "you always put on a tough front."

"I'm sorry," you say, "I've been really horrible."

"People tend to be like that when they break up with their boyfriend."

"Yeah." Is all you manage to say without bursting into tears.

You know leaning into him for comfort will only make things harder for you in the long run, and you really don't want old feelings to surface. But when he holds you like this you feel safe, and secure.

"Go pack up your things." He says, and you pull away, and do so. You shove enough clothes for a few days into your bag, and all of your personal care necessities.

Ben is standing by the door when you return, and you lock the door behind you, and walk to his place in silence.

Han and Leia greet you at the door, and tell you dinner will be ready in half an hour.

Half an hour later, you're called for dinner. You don't, however, come out.

Leia knocks on the door, "Everything okay?" She calls out.

"I'm not hungry." You reply,

"I'll set some aside for you."

Leia does, and you never come out for dinner. All you do is lay in bed, face stuffed into the pillows that smell strongly of tide, while tears leak from your eyes. A year of your life, with a married man.

You look at your phone and realize you have a bazillion missed calls from Finn. As if he senses you, a FaceTime call pops up.

You answer, not showing your face.

"I've been worried sick! What happened?"

"I got into a fight."

"With who??"

"My ex."

"Show me your face."

You roll over onto your back, and lift your phone so he can see your face.