The weirdest interaction

Anthony Crowley is not a morning person. He doesn't sleep most nights but he still hates being up early. St. James Bentley doesn't open until 9 am but his boss insists on everyone showing up at 8 am for a pre-work meeting.

Crowley hasn't shown up on time since his first week. He doesn't really miss anything because the meeting is over the same few points every day. It only lasts 15 minutes tops so it's over by 8:30.

Most days Anthony's mood gets better as the day goes on. After the meeting he half-ass listens to Conrad, Rory, and Elena talk about whatever while sipping coffee. By noon he's chatting with whomever and by mid afternoon he's joking and entertaining the whole office with quick-witted remarks.

Of course when with customers Crowley puts on whatever personality he needs to. He can always tell exactly which buttons to push with people. Crowley has an amazingly persuasive personality and can tempt almost anyone into buying a car. He's been the employee of the month every month since he started. If it weren't for that he wouldn't get away with things like showing up late everyday.

By closing time Crowley had made half his rent in commission. He sold a Bentley Spur to some 22 year old who works in tech. The kid was a real dick so Crowley didn't feel bad about sticking him with a 12% interest rate. He also sold a Corvette to a man clearly having a mid-life crisis.

Conrad and Crowley headed right for this new bar after work but Rory begrudgingly had to stay behind to finish up paperwork. He's going to meet them there once he's done.

They park down the block. The area feels so familiar but Crowley's almost certain he's never been to this part of soho before. They walk past a cluttered but warm and inviting bookshop with a note on the door reading "we do NOT sell books." Conrad points it out and they get a good laugh out of it.

The shop door flies open and a person with a puppy-like demeanor practically runs out. "Mr. Crowley! Where have you been?" Crowley and Conrad exchange looks. They think maybe it's a former customer.

Crowley stares at this person, trying to place them, "I- er- sorry. Do I know you? Did I sell you a car, maybe?"

They scrunch their face, "sell me a car? No? It's Muriel!" They whisper, "you know, from," they point upward. Crowley just looks on wide-eyed. "You know! Inspector Constable. I arrested you once. Blah, blah, blah?" They offer.

Crowley and Conrad are both completely taken aback. Crowley stands there, mouth agape, for a few moments. This kid did say his name but they are clearly insane. I don't know any crazy people, he thinks. A horrible thought sneaks into his brain for just a moment. What if this loon knows me because I'm also- he shakes the idea away. "Look I think you've got me confused for someone else," he tries to say nicely but his tone has a bite.

The smile's fallen from Muriel's face, "n-no. You're-you're Mr. Crowley, Mr. Aziraphale's grumpy friend. He's been looking for you."

Keeping a level tone is becoming difficult, "who? I don't- look I don't know you or anyone-" he huffs. Calm. Crowley takes a deep breath, "I think you have me confused."

When Muriel protests, Conrad chimes in, "he says he doesn't know you so, he doesn't know you. End of story." He turns to go to the Drunk Donkey. Crowley shrugs then follows suit.

Muriel calls one last thing, "well! Can I tell Mr. Aziraphale you came by?"

Crowley, assuming Mr. Zira-whatever is their cat or something, just sarcastically say, "sure, knock yourself out!"

Once inside Conrad bursts out laughing. He jokingly asked what that was all about. Crowley is a little panicked, but chuckles and does his best to laugh along. I'm not crazy. You can't let anyone think you're crazy.

Rory shows up right after his pals get their drinks. Conrad excitedly pats his arm and tells him, "dude we had the weirdest interaction out on the street." Conrad tells the whole story, occasionally looking to Crowley who nods or adds a single word. Rory thinks it's wild but he's more preoccupied with getting some food.

When Rory gets back with a pint of beer he has a theory that actually makes sense. He confirms, "you didn't know or recognize them at all?" Crowley shakes his head and takes a drink from his whiskey. "Could it of been someone from when you were a kid? Like someone in the system with you?" He continues the train of thought, "but if they were a kid with you, they'd call you by your first name."

Crowley likes that idea, at least so his friends don't catch onto his theory. "You know, you might be right. The nuns addressed us as "Mr." Or "Miss." so maybe they were a younger kid when I was almost out. That's why I don't know them." That's good. I need to remember to write this down.

The conversation gets steered to Rory's in law's, who he has to pick up from the airport tomorrow, and the wedding.

"I just can't wait for this bachelor party," Conrad says. "It's going to be awesome. I'm the best best-man!"

Rory pats him on the shoulder, "sure, man."

He's just a bit offended by the patronizing tone, "hey I'm the one who talked you out of those Chaps suits!" They go on to argue about it for a few minutes but both know the suits were bad.

Crowley would normally find this amusing but he can't help starring out the window at that bookshop. There's something about that shop. Buzzing grows in his ears.

"Hey! Tony!" Rory snaps his fingers in front of Crowley's face, bringing him back to earth, "you good, man?"

Crowley acts as if he wasn't just out of it, "yeah, course I'm good. You good?" He quickly drinks his whiskey. "What's up?"

Rory decides to let it go, "uh- no- just wondering if we're still on tomorrow."
They had plans to go watch shopping for Conrad's best-man gift. Crowley shoots a look to Conrad and Rory knows he messed up.

"What's tomorrow?" Conrad asks clearly sad to not be invited.

"Uhhh," Rory needs to think of a lie, "um- we are- he's going to teach me some Spanish. Yeah, to impress Elena's folks." Rory knows that's a horrible lie.

Conrad's sad expression is wiped away. "Oh, school, gross." He looks at Crowley, "you know Spanish?"

Crowley rattles off several sentences in Spanish beyond intermediate knowledge. Rory is almost as shocked as Crowley is. ¿Qué Coño?

Rory didn't expect that to work but he's going to use it. "Okay hey, how do you say 'pleasure to meet you. I've heard so much about you?' Say that!"

Crowley isn't sure how he knows but he does. The words leave his mouth slowly, "es un placer conocerlos. He oído hablar mucho de ustedes." A thousand thoughts are going through his head.

Just then food comes out. It's perfect timing. A big juicy cheeseburger is placed in front of both Conrad and Rory. They're surprised that Crowley didn't get one but he hates eating. Everything kind of taste like sand. Both men dig into their burgers and any thoughts about Crowley's bilingualism are replaced.

***
Man, this really didn't feel like 1200 words while writing! I know the chapters are all on the longer side but I hope you're all enjoying! If you are don't forget to vote :D