CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

"When did you speak with Berrick?" Daemon asked, clearly struggling to contain his anger. Valyria knew very well that her next words could send her husband into a murderous rage. Yet there was no point in hiding it or lying to him. Amidst the chaos that was coming for them, they needed to be honest with one another.

"When we returned from King's Landing," Valyria said, keeping her expression blank. "I found out of Rhaenyra's involvement during the wedding," she cast a glance over at Cyrenna and Aegon, "and had Ser Berrick detained and discreetly brought to Dragonstone. He's currently in the dungeons – Daemon!" Valyria called out her husband's name in warning when he turned around at those words, probably planning on going down to the dungeons.

A moment of silence followed where Daemon simply stood there like a statue. The only movement came from the slight rise and fall of his shoulders as he struggled to not beat somebody to a pulp. Slowly he turned around, facing his wife and the rest of the council. "Your Grace?" he said curtly.

"I have yet to get all the information I want from Ser Berrick," Valyria told him. "For now, he's to remain alive and conscious."

"As my Queen commands," Daemon smiled tightly and strode out of the Chamber of the Painted Table. His reaction wasn't anything unexpected – especially when she told him in a room filled with strangers – but Valyria didn't know what to feel when she watched him walk out the door.

The number of people Daemon cared for in this world could before the birth of all their children be counted on one hand. Amongst those people were Rhaenyra. The Rogue Prince always had a soft spot for his niece – even if he certainly had grown to care less these last years – and he probably didn't want to accept that the sweet little girl had grown up into a bitter woman.

Valyria also had troubles accepting it. For many years, Rhaenyra had been like her younger sister. She always loved the younger princess and for over a decade Valyria supported her claim to the throne without expecting anything in return. Had Rhaenyra planned to kill Valyria know, she'd have understood the reason better – even if it still had been the greatest betrayal – but when the Second Sons tried to kill Valyria she was still just the daughter of the former Prince of Dragonstone; she posed no threat to Rhaenyra's claim back then.

"Ser Lorent," Valyria said, acting as if her husband's abrupt departure didn't bother her the slightest. At this moment, he was probably halfway down the stairs to the dungeons, planning on beating Ser Berrick until he was just barely conscious – to not defy her order – while also threatening to burn his childhood home to the ground.

"Yes, Your Grace?" the Kingsguard asked, stepping forward, ready to obey whatever command she gave him.

"Tell the men and the dragonkeepers that Prince Daemon is not permitted to leave the island until I say so," Valyria said, thinking it was for the best to keep her husband at Dragonstone until he'd calmed down. In his fury he could burn Saltpans to the ground or fly to Driftmark and confront Rhaenyra.

"If Princess Rhaenyra was behind the attempt on your life, Your Grace," Lord Bartimos began, "the chances of her surrendering are slim. And should she surrender-"

"You will have to punish her accordingly for attempting to take your life," Rhaenys finished in realisation, watching Valyria with pity. There were choices that Valyria needed to make in the upcoming moons that definitely would lay heavy on her heart.

"I don't see what we can offer Rhaenyra to persuade her into surrendering peacefully anyway," Valyria said, eyes glued to where Driftmark had been carved into the map. She wondered what made Rhaenyra think that anyone would bend the knee to her in this position. Since Viserys told her about the prophecy, Rhaenyra should want to defend the realm from future wars against the darkness by keeping it united. "Much like she has nothing to offer me more than a reminder of the oaths everyone swore to her long ago."