Together

Jack made his way back upstairs with Sophie's trademark cup of tea, his plan was to warn her about the story. The picture. To tell her it was all vicious lies, fabricated within the mind of a fame hungry wannabe.

But as soon as he entered the bedroom he knew he was too late.

He was faced with an image that he figured would haunt him for years to come.. the sight of her curled up in the corner of the bedroom, knees up, crying into her folded arms. She was sobbing so much her whole body shook.

*

She hadn't come this far, to only come this far.

After everything during the international break, she didn't want to see him again. It was game over as far as she was concerned... but then, somehow, they had gravitated back together. She wasn't one to believe in 'fate', but Jack had been brought into her life when she'd needed him the most. In more ways than he probably knew, he'd nursed her back to life.

Sensing the change in the atmosphere, she automatically looked up, the hurt expression on his face gave himself away. Jack knew all too well what he'd done.

"Soph", he rushed over, kneeling next to her on the floor, "It's not what you think".

She'd heard that one before. A tired grimace tugged at her mouth as she held up a palm, a signal for him to back off.. he held it firmly between both of his hands.

"Soph, ya left me. You didn't want anything to do wi' me"

"And why was that, Jack?", she hissed.

"I know I fucked up that time, but since I got ya back I've not stopped thinking how lucky I am every single day", he pleaded, bringing her hand to his lips. All dark eyed and furrowed brow.

"The lads from home dragged me out one night", he continued, "I wanted to forget that I'd lost ya. Just a few mind-numbing hours to not remember how much of a dickhead I'd been"

He grazed his mouth over her hand, planting pleading kisses across her knuckles.

She needed some air.

There no chance she could possibly process any sort of thoughts whilst he was crouched down next to her, his scent flooding her senses.

"Don't leave, please", as if reading her thoughts.

She stood herself up, loosening her hand from his tight grip.

"Jack.. I.. I need space. Just let me go for a walk.", her voice already breaking under the weight of emotion.

"We can go together?"

"Please", her voice now firm, empty. alien.

He watched her leave the room and angrily kicked at the half packed cases which were still scattered on the floor of the bedroom.

----------

Broski's – Group Chat

Jack: *1 attached image*
Jack: Boys? I have no memory
Kevan: Ahh.. Eleanor
Ollie: OH
Niall: you were dead to the world bro
Jack: did I leave with her?
Kevan: J, you couldn't even stand up, never mind get it up.
Kevan: Ask Henry how she ended up with us 🙄
Henry: Pulled her mate 🤷🏼‍♂️
Niall: We went back to Ollie's place after we found you nursing a bottle of grey goose, figured it was time to get you home
Niall: Jack - nothing happened with you and Eleanor.
Niall: She thought it would be funny give u lap dance when u was practically half dead, we didn't realise her mate was snapping it all for the 'gram
Henry: She was pecking my head about you though 🤢
Kevan: Henry went back out with them both and we all called it a night
Jack: The papers have the pic. Soph has seen it.
Ollie: Shit.

Jack stared down at his phone as it started to vibrate demandingly in his hand. Kevan's name filled the screen, he wasn't even sure if he wanted to speak to him right now. He was the older brother, but by no means more responsible. He cursed as he frustratingly tapped at the green answer button.

"Wot", he sighed, waiting for Kevan to begin talking

"Listen bro, I can speak to Soph about that night, we all will if needed. Nothing happened it was all a laugh, on that girls part. All for her fifteen minutes and to bump up her profile views I bet."

"Yeh but as always, it was at my fuckin' expense Kev!!". He was so fucking angry, his back teeth now grinding together.

"I'll back you up all the way bro you know that"

"I just don't have the time or energy for bad press, Pep will hand me my arse... AGAIN"

Kevan cleared his throat, "Jack, I'm not being funny, but if you didn't allow yourself to get so out of control then this wouldn't even be an issue"

"You what? Nah, get stuffed honestly. You lot aren't complaining when I'm the one footing the bill!! All of ya can do one"

Jack ended the call before his brother had time to respond and launched his phone across the room for the second time that day.

He needed to find her.

*

5 hours later.

Sophie sat herself down on the rocky verge of the beachy coast nursing a big bottle of water, her head now clearer than it had been earlier. She'd spent the day roaming the city alone, surrounded by strangers and observing people from all walks of life. People watching was one of her favourite things to do. You never know what someone is going through, everyone carries baggage and they are perfectly imperfect in their own special way.

She thought back to everything that happened the past 12 months. She wasn't the same person now, She was stronger.

"Soph.. I've been lookin' all over for ya" that soft and familiar voice spoke from behind her, knocking her from her deep train of thought. She swivelled herself around on the rocks to get a better look at him. Jack was looking down at the sand and shifting his pristine white trainers uncomfortably at the thought of dragging them through the golden grains.

She thought he was going to stop and remove his socks and Nikes, instead he gingerly starting taking small steps over to her.

"What?" his eyes crinkled slightly in the corners as he looked over at Sophie, who was now holding back a slight grin.

"You hate sand in your shoes", her voice now soft.

He shrugged and paused

"I hate whatever this is more", gesturing at the space between them with his hand.

She patted at the chalky rock to the space beside her and he didn't hesitate in climbing over to her, wrapping his arms around her frame.

Sophie's eyes began to burn with tears, which landed heavily onto Jack's shirt.

"Bab, I love ya so much, we can get through this.. can't we?"

She nodded, her head still pressed into his firm chest. He held her against him, his heartbeat thudding beneath her face.

Jack was a good man, she knew that, but he didn't half get himself in some questionable situations. He was too trusting and always wanted to see the good in everybody, but not everyone had good intentions.

So she made a choice.
They would stand strong.
Together.