A Battle of the Mind

I was nearly useless in a normal conflict, but I had no way of defending my mind. Sure, I could remember all the fantasy novels I read over the years, all about concentrating, or imagining solid walls, or who knew what else. But after my training with the elder hobgoblin, Nord, I had first had experience in knowing that clearing ones mind was no easy task. 

Heck, even sitting on a deck with nothing but the birds to disturb the peace, it was hard to get into a meditative state. I was now in a life and death battle, and I knew for a fact that I was not going to achieve enlightenment in the next five seconds with a shadow monster munching on my brains!

Still, I wasn't about to roll over and die...

Despite knowing it would do little good, I focused all my efforts on imagining driving out the invader. In seconds I had a screaming head ache, but I had no way of knowing if that was due to my own lack luster attempt at meditation, or from the very assault I was attempting to prevent.

"Pathetic." I heard, spoken in my own mind but with the voice of my enemy.

Suddenly the desiccated clearing and the massive forest that surrounded it were gone. No longer could I hear the other's efforts at taking out the minions, muffled or other wise.

Instead, I opened my eyes and found myself lying down on the grass in a very familiar place. It was a calm, summer like, night, and I lay in lush greenery, the dark barked trees danced in a calm wind above me, their purple blossoms fluttering down and around.

I cursed, knowing that I had lost the battle of wills. After all, had I been able to keep that monster out of my head, I highly doubted that I would be hanging out in my mental land scape. What terrified me was that I did not know where the Specter was, except that he was here somewhere...

I scrambled to my feet and glared around, prepared for the shadowy monster to jump out from behind a tree at any moment. Nothing.

"Damn it." I hissed, under my breath.

Not knowing what else to do, and knowing that this place was quite small, and there fore there were not many places to hide, I decided to make my way to the main attraction. As I said, I did not have far to go. I stepped past a bush and walked into yet another clearing. But mine was much nicer than the Specter's, and at the center stood a small, Greacen like temple. It had changed much since evolving the goblins, and I had become quite proud of the place.

Instead of the campfire, or even the small sunken braziers, there was now a marble structure complete with pillars and a domed roof. Growing in the rafters were wisteria like flowers, hang down from above.

 Growing in the rafters were wisteria like flowers, hang down from above

I shook my head. Now was hardly the time for such frivolous thoughts.

I ascended the short stair and entered the single, marble platform. There were no walls, just the pillars and the trees all around me, growing out of both ground and a shallow pool of water that hadn't been there the last time i was here. At the center of all this marble sat a single fire, a large brazier filled with smoke-less flames. The whole place was a contrast of light and dark, but it felt comfortable and familiar to me.