Chapter 2 : Him

"It has been two days, and I have yet to secure employment," sighed Theo, who had been journeying from town to town, seeking means to earn a living. Life was growing increasingly challenging, and he pondered the mistakes he might have made to end up in such a pitiable situation. His sole desire was survival, but life was becoming unbearably arduous. Theo strolled aimlessly through the streets, with just enough money to afford dinner.

Suddenly, he collided with a burly man. "My apologies, sir. I certainly did not intend to cross your path," Theo said, sincerely regretful. The hefty gentleman, with his English-French accent, bellowed, "Are you looking for an early grave, young man?" Theo profusely apologized once more and tried to continue on his way. However, the burly man halted him in his tracks.

Theo once again offered his heartfelt apologies to the imposing man and attempted to continue his walk. However, he found his shoulder gripped firmly."I didn't grant you permission to depart," the man growled with rough authority. Theo's heart sank; he was in no condition for a physical confrontation.Just as tensions were about to escalate, a mellifluous voice intervened. "Gentlemen, please, there's no need for hostility."

Theo turned to behold a well-dressed stranger observing the situation with composed yet penetrating eyes. "Allow the lad to proceed," the stranger directed the hulking man, who surprisingly complied with a grunt.

"Thank you, sir," Theo expressed his gratitude to the stranger with a slight smile. "You seem like a person in need of assistance. May I offer my services?"Theo's eyes widened. "Work? Yes, please! I shall undertake any task." The stranger nodded in affirmation. "Then accompany me."

Theo followed this enigmatic man to his impressive estate, taken aback by its grandeur. "I am Mr. Dubois. I require aid with...special projects. The compensation is generous. Are you amenable?"

Theo, caring little about the nature of the work as long as it alleviated his dire circumstances, readily agreed, hoping that his fortunes had finally shifted. However, as night descended on his first day at the estate, a disconcerting sensation crept over him, suggesting that things might not be as they appeared.