Ⲥⲏⲇⲣⲧⲉⲅ 22

♬ You say, "I don't understand, " and I say, "I know you don't"
We thought a cure would come through in time, now, I fear it won't ♬

Skylar Abbott POV

I sat on the couch as my parents were excited that tomorrow was the race in Belgium, and their house was close enough that I came to stay with them instead of a hotel. I grew up here with them, even though we also have a house in the Netherlands, Max's courtesy. He never took it back apparently.

I was looking outside and I wondered what the last few months meant. What is this between me and George? I have no answer ready. The rumors are getting bigger every race weekend. A month has gone by since we had sex, it happened a few more times.

He is as sweet as he always is. But am I ready to move on? Every time I think about that damn ring it feels like a stab is dug deeper into my chest. I knew how much my parents found it hard to send him away and not return his calls. They told him I needed to be the one who told him but besides that letter I never did.

"Who is the young boy?" My mom asks as she joins me in the backyard, sitting on my right.

"Who?" I ask confusedly.

"The Brit darling," my dad says sitting on my right and I nod.

"George Russell, a driver for Mercedes. He is pretty good," I tell them nonchalantly and my mom laughs.

"Oh, honey. We know who he is, but you have been hiding him from us all weekend, we are not that old, we use social media. We know the rumors around you and George," she says with a smile.

"We are friends, people are taking it out of proportion."

"Friends? He looks at you the same way Max did, there is no way in hell you two are friends, don't lie to us. Just say you don't want to speak about it," he says before he chuckles.

"I don't know if I can move on from Max," my confession surprised me so when their heads turned quickly to look at me I wasn't all that surprised.

"You and Max, it was a very beautiful relationship and I tried to warn you that you were the one doing this to yourself. You felt sick, you started self-isolating and you sent him away. He might've missed the clues that you were sick but you shouldn't have left while claiming to be neglected because that man would give you his heart if you needed it to live," my mom was emotional and I knew it was my fault.

I ignored her, I ignored my dad and then I had to hear the therapist telling me this was my way of protecting myself and those around me. I made myself think he was the problem and I pushed him away because, deep down, I knew he would stay by my side even if it slowed him down. I never knew I did this but I did it with my parents.

I was alone in a hospital in the United States because I didn't tell my parents the date scheduled for the surgery. Why? I didn't want to bother them.

"I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. I just don't want you to keep pushing people away, those around you have a right to decide what they want to give up to keep you around. Taking that choice from people who love you is cruel darling," she says as she hugs me and I hug her back.

"I'm not supporting the British guy, Max is Max honey," my dad jokes and I hug him after.

There is no one more honest than my parents and the next day, I saw them spend all day in the Red Bull garage with Max's family, the dad's side of the family. I was at the entrance of the Mercedes garage and I saw Blue Jaye running in my direction and I hugged her.

"Someone told me you missed me," I tell her excitedly and she nods.

"I did, you are the best person ever," she says even more excited than me.

"I'm going," George says as he is going to the grid and I nod.

"Good luck," I say as I kiss his cheek and he kisses mine before smiling at the blonde girl who looks confused. She is almost 9 so kind of gets what happened.

"Is that your new Max?" She asks confusedly and I swallow nervously.

"That is George, he drives for Mercedes. And that is the team I am directing to record him and Mercedes," I explain to her.

I went into details before I had to enter the garage since the race would start, I was going to enter Mercedes like I always do but I ended up in the Red Bull garage. I watched Max win and, surprisedly, Jos hugged me and smiled before hugging my parents.

Don't get me wrong, Jos is a beast and an abuser, but he is Max's dad and he is the one who makes the choice of how long he will deal with his presence in his life. I only demanded respect from Jos and I guess I got it.

I left the garage and went to Mercedes as I asked my team to film the 4th and 6th place for Lewis and George, respectively. Seeing Max win, in that garage, is a tough one. It brings back so many memories and I don't even know if I like it.

I went home with my parents as they congratulated Max and, after dinner, I got a call from an unknown number. It's a Sunday, no scammer calls on a Sunday and even if they do I can just hang up.

"Yes?" I answer as I accept the call and I try to juggle the food in my other hand as I try to open a bag of chips.

"Is this Miss Skylar Abbott?" The lady asked and I could tell this seemed serious.

"Yes, who is this?" I ask worriedly.

"It's from the Reine Astrid Hospital Center, we have a sir named Max Verstappen. You are listed as his emergency contact," she says and the bag falls from my hands and even my phone almost fell too.

"I am going, I will need like an hour to get there. Is he okay? Did he fall or something?" I ask as I rush to find my keys.

"It was a car accident but we can't discharge him alone, we will wait for you, he is still unconscious," she says calmly and I nod like she could see me. Fucking stupid.

"Yes, I will be right there."

I might've got a few speeding tickets to arrive there in half an hour, but I did it. I ran inside, I needed to know how he was. I felt like I wasn't even breathing properly the whole way. This can't be happening.