Ⲥⲏⲇⲣⲧⲉⲅ 30

♬ How long could we be a sad song
'Til we were too far gone to bring back to life? ♬

Max Verstappen POV

She never gave me an answer. I don't know if she loves him; I don't know if she loves me. I know I love her. I know I've wanted to hold her desperately since she told me everything, but I took my car and drove to Ava's house, which was 2 hours away from the track.

"Max!" She says excitedly, but I roll my eyes.

"I want the letter. I know you kept it. You are too petty to have thrown it away," I demand as I enter her apartment, and I see how nervous she got.

"I don't have it. I-" she would try to give me an excuse, but I stopped her.

"She had cancer! I could've lost her! You played these goddamn mind games while she was sick, and I love her! She is the love of my life. No matter how messed up it all got, she was all I ever wanted. I could've lost her. I have lost her for good if she loves him now. So give me that fucking letter, or I will look into every centimeter of this house until I find it!"

I am at my wit's end, and she must've gotten the message loud and clear because she left the entrance and returned with the letter, giving it to me in silence.

I left the building and went to the car, I waited until I was back in my house to read it. Was I ready? No. Will I ever be? Probably not.

Max, I'm sorry.
I can't keep doing this. I've felt like I was dying for months, I know I should've spoken to you, but I couldn't. I needed you to have this win; the championship was all you'd ever dreamed of, and you have it now. Congratulations, my love.
You were all I've ever dreamed of in a man, and I love you more than words can describe, but I reached my limit. We are both ignoring the problem, pretending it isn't here. I look sick. I am sick. How could you not notice?
I didn't tell you, you didn't ask. The perfect duo. I don't know what the prognosis is or what I can do to stop feeling sick, I don't even know anything about this disease besides that the name scares me.
I found out last week what I have. Stomach cancer. Thinking I can die is making me more depressed than being sick ever did. This is your world, and I must step away for a while.

I wish you all the best, but I am not the best for you. You can have someone better, so I will step aside and let that happen. I've loved you more than I ever thought it was possible, I love you more than I may ever love anyone. I'm sorry for the last few months. I have some regrets, but you will never be one of them.

Enjoy the trophy, and please be happy; keep Jos at arms-length though.

Her signature is at the end of the letter, and I was crying like a damn baby. I could've known all along. Ava took that from me. How could I be sorry without knowing the crime I had committed to send her away?

I couldn't sleep, so I arrived at the paddock looking like shit on Friday morning, I went to do the scheduled interviews before the first practice, and I saw those closest to me were always checking on me. Charles ran in my direction once we were both free.

"What is wrong with you?" Charles asks, confused and I shrug.

"I'm fine, why?" I play dumb, and he rolls his eyes.

"Did something happen? I saw Sky leaving the RedBull motorhome yesterday," he says as we walk side by side.

"We talked, I know everything now. I am processing it still so I appreciate some time and space," I say as I head to the garage and Charles follows closely behind.

"I am here to talk if you want to," he says before entering Ferrari's garage and I enter Red Bull's soon after.

"You aren't in a condition to drive that car," Christian says once his eyes settle on me and I chuckle.

"I've been worse and won a race while worse. I can live it through," I am unphased by the thought, and he shakes his head.

"Be careful. Please," he asks as I go to my engineer to see the data we got during summer break. While I saw all the pictures George and her were in, I drowned myself in work so I didn't have to think. It didn't work.

I got inside the car an hour later. The session was ending, and I was trying to do a better time; the first place was mine, but I wanted to keep it, so one more lap and I would go back to the garage. Suddenly, I see someone in my rearview mirror before my car is entirely out of my control.

I span out of control and hit the barriers. I removed my hands from the wheel to prevent damage, but my body felt the shock. A noise echoed through my ears continuously as I heard my engineer calling, and then Christian tried, too. I felt my chest was tightening, and my vision was getting blurry.

I tried to breathe slower as I reached for the radio button with my shaking hand, adrenaline traveling through my body, no pain being felt yet.

"Max! Are you okay?" Christian asks once again.

"I- Sky- I-" The words didn't leave my mouth because I couldn't think clearly; her name was all I could think about, so I gave up and looked at my surroundings, which wasn't a good idea.

That is when I saw George's car a few meters away from mine. He was getting out, and the medical car arrived. I needed help to get out of the car. I was too confused to leave the car on my own two feet, and they guided me the whole way before taking me in the ambulance while George took the medical car. The question now stands. Him or me?