Chapter 15: A Tender Touch

The next day, as the sun peeked through the blinds of the infirmary, Sage stood at (Y/n)'s bedside, going through his medical chart with a focused expression. She skimmed through the notes and vital signs, mentally assessing his progress. A small smile played on her lips as she noted the slight improvement in his condition. However, there was still much to monitor.

With her usual calm demeanor, Sage took out a thin, sterilized string, preparing to take a blood sample. "I'm going to take a sample of your blood now, (Y/n)," she informed him gently, her tone reassuring yet matter-of-fact. "It might sting a bit."

(Y/n)'s eyes widened, and he tensed at her words. He stammered, "Wait, wait, I—I don't think I'm ready for this." His voice rose in pitch, betraying his nervousness.

Sage glanced at him, her expression softening with a hint of amusement. "Relax," she reassured him, her voice laced with a touch of humor. "I haven't even touched your skin yet."

(Y/n) let out a relieved laugh, realizing his premature reaction. "Oh, really?" he said, sheepishly scratching the back of his head. "I thought you already started the process."

Sage chuckled lightly, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "You'll know when I do," she replied, her steady hands showcasing her precision as she prepared the equipment. "Just a small prick, and we'll be done."

(Y/n) winced slightly, bracing himself for the anticipated discomfort. However, Sage's steady and gentle approach put him at ease. He trusted her skills implicitly, knowing that she always had their best interests at heart.

As Sage carefully positioned the needle against (Y/n)'s skin, aiming for a precise insertion, (Y/n) couldn't help but feel a surge of anxiety. Despite his attempts to remain calm, his body tensed, and his eyes involuntarily squeezed shut, a reflex that betrayed his apprehension.

However, to their surprise, the thin string, meant for collecting a blood sample, failed to penetrate his skin. The string simply bent, unable to make its way into (Y/n)'s surprisingly resilient epidermis. Sage's expression remained composed, her eyes conveying a sense of understanding as she withdrew the needle. With a calm demeanor, Sage remarked, "I knew it." There was a subtle twinkle in her eyes, hinting at a shared understanding between them, as if she had anticipated this outcome.

(Y/n) opened his eyes, relief washing over his features. "You knew it, huh?" he replied, a touch of amusement in his voice. "Well, I guess I have one more tough stuff to add to the list besides that thing, huh?" he mischievously winked at Sage.

Sage's response was immediate, her tone taking on a feigned sense of exasperation as she waved a hand in a dismissive gesture. "I don't know what you mean," she replied with a sigh, shaking her head. "And please, God, spare me from the details. I didn't want to know." Her words were accompanied by a wry smile, a subtle nod to their shared understanding of the playful dynamic between them.

(Y/n)'s grin widened, his playful nature fully on display. "Oh, come on, Sage. You can handle it, can't you?" he teased, raising an eyebrow in mock innocence. "I'm sure you're dying to hear all about it. My list of tough stuff must be pretty impressive by now, huh?"

Sage couldn't suppress a laugh, her composed demeanor breaking momentarily in the face of (Y/n)'s playful banter. "I think I'll pass on that," she replied, a hint of amusement lingering in her voice. "I'm sure your list is a tale of its own, but I'm content with just the highlights, thank you very much." Her eyes sparkled with warmth.

...

...

...

Sage glanced at the camera, her expression a mixture of amusement and mild exasperation. When asked about (Y/n)'s purported list of tough stuff, her response was immediate. "Whatever it is," she began, her voice tinged with a touch of exasperation, "it must be something inappropriate."