40 - The Dream Tailor

Start from the beginning

Casus removed seven cloth pouches from the medical bag. He handed one to each child and poured the contents from the seventh into his lap. "Earplugs," he offered, picking up two tiny cotton wool balls. He twisted one into his left ear as a demonstration. "Nose peg," he stated, lifting a small wooden spring contraption from his knee. He pinched the wider end of the peg and dropped it on his nose, sealing his nostrils. "Bat goggles," he said nasally as he grabbed a pair of darkened elasticated glasses from his thigh. "Juvenile size." He snapped the goggles to his face and adjusted them over his eyes. "You need to wear all these items," he instructed. "Or it will not work."

None of them knew what he was talking about, but he appeared deadly serious.

"What's the pencil for?" asked Charlie, looking at the one remaining item.

"That is for the pain," said the Lowdowner matter-of-factly. He slipped the pencil into his mouth horizontally and bit down as a demonstration.

"Pain?" bleated Isla. "What's going to happen?"

"Please hurry," urged Casus. "I must assist the Dream Tailor in your mother's office." He gave no further explanation. He removed the items from his face, stood and knocked three times on the headteacher's door before entering the room.

The six sat in collective confusion. What was the Dream Tailor going to do? What were all these bits and pieces for? To help them somehow? Help them with what?

"What should we do?" whispered Rose.

"We must do as he says," replied Amelia delving into her pouch.

"Or else what?" asked Jack, folding his arms across his chest.

"We don't know, do we?" cried Elliot. "But it can't be worse than getting expelled." He ripped open his pouch and prodded a cotton wool ball into each ear with his index finger. "I trust Casus."

The view through the corridor window blackened as the sun was rapidly engulfed in dark clouds. A deafening roll of thunder shook the plastic chairs and a flash of lightning smothered the corridor momentarily with a bright white light.

The rest followed Amelia and Elliot, fumbling with nose pegs and trying to adjust the elastic on the goggles. As lightning sheeted across the corridor a second time, they were interrupted by Mr. McDonald, Head of Science and Hawk House dorm master, who was strolling towards them. They hurriedly stuffed the items between their legs and under their chairs.

As Mr. McDonald approached the children, he offered a sad smile in Elliot's direction. "I'm so sorry, everyone," he said genuinely. "I tried to reason with the Board, but I fear my words fell on deaf ears." He patted Elliot on the back and shook his head. "Such potential," he muttered to himself as he wandered off towards the staff room. His lab coat was momentarily illuminated electric blue as the lightning struck again. The accompanying thunder was frightening.

The floor vibrated under their feet. Black and white photos of old school classes bounced and jerked on the walls before tumbling to the floor, glass fracturing as they cracked against the herringbone floor.

The shelves in a trophy cabinet underneath the window shattered spectacularly, sending shards of glass and miniature bronze resin athletes through the air. A strip light bulb exploded above them, casting the corridor into semi-darkness. The only light came from an iridescent purple glow pulsing under the door to Mrs. Marney's office.

An uncomfortable pressure was building between Rose's ears. It reminded her of when she flew to the UK from Washington. They all felt it. It was becoming unbearable. An unearthly high-pitched screeching sound enveloped them. They hurriedly began stuffing their ears with cotton wool, clamping their noses with the pegs and helping each other to adjust the goggles over their eyes. Their world turned pitch black. Charlie's nose was bleeding and he thought his brain was going to burst. His throat and chest were burning. Jack was muttering gibberish as he bit down hard on his pencil.

A prickly feeling started in their toes and surged upwards through their bodies, causing them to inhale sharply with the shocking pain. Isla screamed as she inserted a pencil into her mouth. Her pulse was pounding through her jaw as she sunk her teeth into the wood. Elliot grabbed for Amelia in the darkness, but she had slipped from her seat and was curled up in a ball at his feet, convulsing and writhing in agony. They were on the verge of unconsciousness when an invisible wave of energy pulsated along the corridor and swept over them, bathing them with a warm, bubbling sensation that invigorated every aching muscle and freed them from their torment.

Amelia sat up and wiped vomit from her chin with the back of her hand. She pushed the goggles onto her forehead. Her hair was littered with fragments of glass and smelled like fireworks. She blinked and saw the others stirring. They were safe. Charlie's face was an eruption of blood, but he appeared unhurt. He had bitten so hard that his pencil had snapped in two. They were all covered in a fine layer of grey dust. They coughed and spluttered as they sat up and surveyed the scene. Sunlight was streaming in through the window, casting a warm glow along the corridor. The floor was scattered with trophies, ceiling tiles, photo frames and glass. It was a mess.