Chapter eleven: avoidance

Laelynn's point of view

I don't know if I'm grateful or embarrassed.

My first punishment wasn't as bad as I had expected, which was something I never thought I would say when it came to Lord Ries.

He delivered ten strokes to my behind. Yes, they were painful, but I had expected much worse than that. Something told me that he was being gentle with me today.

But why?

Why didn't he go all out like he said he would?

Be grateful, Laelynn. You got off unscathed. Most pets get whipped for just looking at their masters. I needed to appreciate my situation, even if it confused me.

When Lord Ries had enough of my presence, he commanded me to leave and go get something to eat. And that's exactly what I did.

As I was walking down the hall, I heard snickering behind me.

I turned around, immediately recognizing the Fallen females by their tall height and unnaturally skinny build. They were looking at me while laughing, I had no doubt it was because my behind was red from my punishment.

"I don't know what's so funny," I said to them in pretend confusion. "These males touch us more than you'll ever feel. If anything is a joke here, it's you."

Their smiles fell, and I turned away before anything could be said and done, a snicker of my own forming. They couldn't do anything anyway. The collar also forbade them from touching me.

If this place was any similar to other supernaturals, that meant that their females meant nothing.

If anyone wanted clarification, if men hated women, the supernaturals lived on that term.

They were only for having children. It was rare for one to end up married.

I pushed the familiar door of the kitchen, the smell of grilled meat filling my nose. My stomach rumbled in excitement. I paused when I saw everyone on their feet, rushing and preparing meals. Some girls were putting piles of different meats on large platters, and some were running around with different colored beverages.

"Coming through!" A girl said, zooming past me with a pot of boiling water. I ducked out of the way, walking to the corner of the room. I saw a tray full of bacon and pulled one to eat, only for it to get snatched from me. I looked to see who had taken it, a frown covering my features.

"What a lovely surprise." I said sarcastically.

Kim crossed her arms and put the meat back on the tray. "I know you're new here, so you're basically clueless about everything, but you don't just get to eat whatever you please. Especially not the meat."

"It was one piece of bacon, not the whole pig."

"Bacon belongs to the Fallen. Only they get meat." She said with an eye roll. Her name was called, and she quickly went off, not forgetting to take the tray of bacon with her. I rolled my eyes too, climbing on an empty countertop and sitting down carefully.

"Don't worry, the meat isn't even seasoned. Those creatures hate anything with salt." Daniel said, walking towards me. He leaned back on the countertop, his eyes landing on my thighs. "That dress looks so hot on you. First girl to ever pull it off."

That's a creepy thing to say.

There's nothing new with these men, though.

I cleared my throat and pulled it down, mumbling a small thanks.

Daniel grabbed a sandwich from a girl walking past with them, and he handed it to me. "Here, you have to keep those thighs thick."

What's with the comments?