Chapter nine: mistake

Start from the beginning

Not that I blamed them.

"Gorgeous, isn't she?" I said, making Jakob quickly look away. He was shocked that he had been caught, and he quickly started to apologize.

"You can stare as much as you like," I only said, reaching for the door, "but if you touch her, Eren will have your head. So will I."

He nodded, keeping his eyes on the ceiling instead.

I pushed the door open, and Laelynn followed in behind me. She looked around as she stepped in, her mouth falling open at the sight of the 'office'. She had probably expected to see a small room with just a desk, a chair, and perhaps a shelf, but it was anything but.

The room was nearly as big as the ballroom. There was a massive chandelier that hung up in the middle of it, and it had more diamonds than a mine could ever contain. Servants lined up against the walls, all waiting to be commanded.

Laelynn's eyes brightened when she saw only the largest throne she had ever seen. It was covered in black jewels and had a design that resembled the roots of a tree. It spread out on the walls and floors like an infection of gems, making the entire area look sparkly.

She's probably never even seen a diamond before. Now she was seeing hundreds of them in one place.

Eren sat on his throne, his head elegantly placed on his palm. A black crown firmly sat on his head, appearing as if it was only designed for him. It made him look all the more glorious. Being lord suited him perfectly.

Maybe I'll let him keep that crown for a bit longer.

There was a male standing in front of him, seeming to be in a heated argument with Eren. I walked towards the two males and nodded at Eren to show respect. Laelynn did not seem to know what to do, so she stood still and watched at the interaction.

Eren nodded back in acknowledgment and looked back at the male. "Lord Ries, you have to reconsider." The male said urgently. Eren looked at Laelynn but did not speak.

What the hell is going on here?

"Am I missing something?" I asked, feeling confused.

"Lord Ries instructed us to deal with Zachary and his human dealing business. When we did, we learned that he is under the protection of the Vampire King." The male quickly explained.

There were worried murmurs from the servants.

I was still confused. What was the big deal?

Eren saw my expression and explained further. "He thinks an army of vampires will come against us if we don't return the things we took back."

Oh.

But it's our stuff.

"I think it would be wise for us to gather our own allies. That way, we can properly defend ourselves." The male continued.

"Allies are not needed. Zachary is merely a human dealer. Why would the vampire Lord entertain his foolishness? Surely, he had more dealers to continue making money." Eren asked, leaning back on his throne.

The male opened his mouth again, growing more frustrated by Eren's unexplained calmness. It used to frustrate me when we were younger, too, but I got used to his nonchalant attitude.

"Lord, we can not just relax because of your assumptions. My suggestion is that we increase security, speak to the werewolves for an alliance, and send spies to the land of vampires. Commander Orion, back me up here."

Laelynn looked at me, clearly invested in the drama she was watching. Or maybe she wanted to know if it would interfere with her escape plan.

Yeah, I knew about her little scheme.

I just chose to keep quiet because I wanted to see how she was planning on pulling it off.

Is she smart or stupid? Cunning or foolish? I wanted to know it all when it came to her.

"You're making a big deal out of nothing." Eren said, dismissing the whole thing.

"Please reconsider ignoring this. For the safety of Loria."

Eren didn't respond, angering the male.

"Eren! You have to approve of this now!" He shouted to the Lord. Gasps echoed throughout the throne room, even louder than the claims of war potentially taking place.

I tensed up, knowing where this was going.

Laelynn looked around, wondering why everyone was suddenly scared.

She looked back at Eren, finding him glaring at the male who had his hands over his mouth in regret.

"Big mistake, buddy." I said, making Eren smirk.

Hope you enjoyed
Vote| Comment |Share

I like Orion, he argues with himself in his head like I do.