13

Zoro sits there leaning on the edge of the pompous burgundy sofa, untouched by my palpable embarrassment.

"What the hell are you doing here?! Get out!" he doesn't even take the time to breathe in my angry tone that he speaks up

"Where's my bracelet?!" oh, again with this. Silly me for thinking he had let it go.

"for Heaven's sake I don't have it" he stands up and starts taking small steps towards me, calmly, as if we were taking a walk in the park. Instinctively, I take a couple step back.

"You don't have it with you or you don't have it period" He speaks in a low tone, and if you didn't notice it sounds like his usual drawl, but there is a note of anger. The room immediately looks smaller, and it comes natural to me to hold tight to the fabric I am wearing.

"Zoro this is highly inappropriate so get out of here before I make you" I have ways to get rid of him but I'd rather not resort to those. But he doesn't seem ready to budge, we're at an impasse again. And this takes me back, because I am once again cornered against a wall. He doesn't touch me, he just remains close-by, but that's enough to feel overwhelmed.

"Answer the question and I might do what you ask" I would answer the question, but the truth is I regret what happened and admitting it out loud is difficult for me.

"I already told you, I don't have it" I speak so low I am surprised he heard me. judging from the mistrust in his eyes I must find a plan B.

"I don't believe you for a second" I make myself invisible and run for the door, he sees it coming and gets there first, slamming it close.

"Not this time" and remembering what I told him about my disappearing limit, he grabs my wrist.

"Let go" this is getting a habit, pushing me against a door or a wall or whatever. And I don't like to be pushed around, so this time I push back, strongly enough to make him go backwards.

"Shit, I lost it, ok?! I freaking lost your stupid bracelet. Happy?!" I nearly shout in his face, he doesn't budge.

"Not even close. You lost it where?" that would be too long of a story.

"It's gone, Zoro. Deal with it and get the hell out of here" my voice comes in a roar this time. And probably that's what makes him realise he forced his hand. So he leaves without adding anything else.

I remain sit for ten minutes or so, to clear my head and let go of my anger. But Kaya is waiting for us with dinner and I can't miss it. I really don't feel like going, I'll admit it, thing is you can't refuse someone that nice. First, as we've been requested, I need to change. So I head to the wardrobe room, where Nami is already trying on stuff. Luffy and Zoro are there too.

"sorry for the delay, I had a... snag" and I glare at Zoro at this last word.

"We haven't decided what to wear yet" Nami continues to nervously review every item of women's clothing. And I must say, there are many. And I mean, so many. I had a nice house, full of nice things, but not as many as there are here.

"This closet looks amazing" I murmur, touching the fabrics lined up one after the other.

"You would know, wouldn't you" Zoro immediately reacts from his chair, not lifting his gaze to me. In this very moment, anything he says gets on my nerves.

"What's that supposed to mean, Zoro?" not by chance my voice becomes bitter in a split second. His doesn't.

"Oh come on, you must have had one similar to this. Kinda obvious you're an uptown girl" it's definitely annoying he thinks he knows everything about my life just by looking at me.

"Yeah, in fact you met me at a Gala party" I reply in irony, while Nami keeps changing clothes, not liking Luffy's remarks on the outfit.

"You have higher education, Xia. Your posture, your glance, your body language. Everything gives it away" it's all true, but my life has been no pleasure cruise really. He considers himself so witty, so spot-on. Time to hit back.

"For someone who's so hostile to me you've certainly taken a good look, haven't you" he doesn't get the bait and simply moves on. Not Luffy, who arched a corner of his mouth.

"I am right, then" he insists on his theory.

"As much as it pains me to quote, well, you. You know nothing" this time he gives me the satisfaction of shutting up. Fuelled by this little victory I keep going, snatching a black shirt out of his hands.

"And I said I was wearing black, it's my signature colour, everyone knows that" and I go back to choosing my outfit.

"Here, Zoro. We wouldn't want anyone to think you have matching outfit, right?" Nami throws a silk shirt at him.

I find what I am looking for, a simple black dress tight on the hips, fastened behind my neck and a floating skirt right above my knee. With darker lace drawings. Once I got dressed, a take a look outside to check on Aileen, and she's sleeping on the porch.

Now it's time to get down for dinner, hoping it will be a quiet night.