7

After thinking it through, I decide to follow Aileen's advice. And I do it for her too, it's not natural for her to stay in a bar all day, sleeping or stretching her legs with the fear of being seen by someone who doesn't agree with her presence. She deserves a better life, and this might even give me the opportunity to get the information I need. I won't deny it, I wouldn't say no to a little more money. In short, the pros outweigh the cons.

I arrive at the dock and spot Luffy near a ship, if you can call it that. It is a kind of wooden tub with a green and white striped sail and a small cabin.

"You failed to mention you had a watermelon for a ship" Luffy turns and widens his eyes, smiling a second later, not at all offended by what I said, he can tell irony, luckily. The insults slide completely off him, it seems. Something I really admire, considering that I tend to fall for provocations.

"Xìa, you came!" I did. And I don't even know where we're going.

"Came where, exactly? Where are you going anyway?"

"The Grand Line, I'll find the One Piece and become king of the Pirates" he says proudly. He's a dreamer, no doubt here. I've heard about this famous One Piece, but I've never heard of people actually having consistent clous about it. that should make me wonder

"You didn't hear? Really? You must be the only one in the world" oh, here's Nami. That's another zinger, but Luffy again doesn't seem to care.

"And this is all your crew?" two people searching for a mythical treasure sounds like the start of a joke. Then I spot a third one, a very familiar one. And my smug face turns into an outraged one.

"You? You hypocrite! I can't believe this" Zoro had me arrested for stealing claiming to be this great pirate hunter, and now he's part of a pirate crew?! No way.

"We're not a crew." He says in a chill tone, leaning against the wood. If he was surprised to see me, he didn't give it away. But I am in the middle of a rage outburst.

"So what? You just happened to trip over the ship and fall in? You are the worst pirate hunter ever" this seems to touch him a little, because his gaze becomes very grim as he crosses his arms in front of his chest.

"You know nothing about me" I don't buy this 'I could have a hard past you know nothing about' attitude. I stand by what I said.

"I know you're a freaking hypocrite" Nami and Luffy, meanwhile, just stare at us, unsure what to do.

"What the hell are you doing here" he's lost his cool too.

"Believe me Prince Charming, had I known you'd be here too, I would have gone the other way. "

"I am sensing a bit of tension. Guys play nice" Luffy tries to cool things off.

"I am playing nice, believe me. Get out of here" Zoro takes a step towards me, and in a heartbeat Aileen's in front of him grinning and grinding her teeth.

"Woah. What the-" he takes a small step back, not too phased. And I look at her with pride. She knows how to make an entrance.

"She's my crew. And she doesn't like you very much" he sighs and gets back on the ship.

"I should have known Kitty Cat was yours" I guess he saw her during the fight.

"Her name's Aileen, means 'bright light' in Irish" Luffy repeats what I've told him before. Zoro raises an eyebrow.

"Bright light... you did notice she's as black as night, right?" of course he doesn't get it. It all has to do with affection and spirituality. But I won't even bother explaining.

"Zoro you have the depth of a puddle. Wasting my breath"

"After what you've done to me you're lucky I don't throw you overboard" and now he's becoming threatening again. He didn't really forgive me for nearly losing his sword and successfully losing his bracelet.

"I'd like to see you try" with people like Zoro you must stand your ground, show them there are no cracks on the surface, or they'll go straight for the jugular.

"Ok, ok. It's not safe to remain here. We have to set sail, so, sort it out. What happened?"

"She stole from me, twice" true, but there are adds-on.

"You had me arrested with no proof the first time, and the second... well, the sword is right by your side, you're welcome by the way" that was a lucky hand, that sword could have ended up differently and I would be fighting him to the death right now.

"See? Seems all fine to me"

"Again, I want my bracelet back and you can come along" not possible. I handed it over and never even got anything out of it, since I was arrested I haven't seen Duric again, my contact.

"I don't have your stupid bracelet. And I sure as hell do not need your permission to tag along" now it's Nami's turn to intervene.

"Guys this is all so fascinating but we need to get out of here. Marines could be there any minute"

"The Marines are here already. I am taking you in" oh, I had not seen this coming, here's blondie again. With a terrible haircut, I might add. Even worse than before.

"What's wrong with his hair" Luffy asks, giggling. Zoro peeks out and leans against a pole of the ship, sneering himself.

"I might have done that, I was looking for the sword and I bumped into him. He irritated me." blondie shoots with the gun, hitting the wooden pole.

"I will not let you joke about me" he says in indignation. Hard not to do it right now mate.

"Were you trying to make an impression or just missed?"

"Oh, you! it'll be fun to see you two as cellmates. It's time to go, I am handing you over to my father" he lays his eyes on me and recognizes me. He'll try to make a move, but someone beat him to it, because I spot something familiar on the dock.

"There's something behind you, blondie" I warn him, smirking. He smirks back.

"DO you think I'm stupid? It's the oldest trick in the world. Do you really think I'll buy it?" I shrug at his nonchalance

"Suit yourself"

And Aileen materialises and pushes him in the water. That's hilarious, I must say.

"We need to go now. For real" Nami urges us.

"There is no we. If he's here, I won't go" the presence of Zoro could really be a dealbreaker for me. Or at least that's what my logic suggests.

"A crew can always fix things, come on. Have a leap of faith" Luffy stretches his hand towards me, encouraging me

"Not a crew" not yet anyway.

"Not you too" he replies to me. But still doesn't lower his hand. In that moment, someone decides for me.

"Come on, Zoro won't be a problem, he's a good guy, right Zoro?" he says nothing. Not that I'd rely on his opinion. It's my life, my decision. Kind of. Because In that moment, someone decides for me.

"Aileen" she jumped in the ship.

You know it's the right thing to do. For you and for your past. And I am in the mood for adventures.

"What the hell. It's not the first dumb choice I make" I take Luffy's hand and step right in. 

And Xia's adventure with the crew begins :D