Chapter 10: Alea Iacta Est

Start from the beginning

Using a vertical slash to destroy the first couple cards, Boss dodged the rest by dashing backwards. Before the last card could hit the ground, Vermont phased into its place and drew his hand back to punch Boss. But before he could throw the punch, Boss sent a powerful jab into his face.

The punch disoriented Vermont for a second and Boss capitalized on this to deliver a kick to his stomach. After getting sent flying back far enough to hit a tree, Vermont struggled to his feet. Once again, his purple eye glowed with energy and his aura began to shift into a greater proportion of purple than orange.

Phasing up to Boss, Vermont threw multiple punches as cards of energy formed around him. Boss dodged these punches easily by stepping around Vermont or moving his head to the side. Then, as Boss blocked Vermont's last punch with his sword, Vermont phased away and multiple cards flew into Boss.

With his quick thinking, Boss destroyed multiple of the cards with his sword. More of the cards were also destroyed by his aura alone, leaving only one card left. And it was this card that forced its way through his protective aura and pierced straight into Boss's stomach. Not that he was phased by this whatsoever.

Boss ignored the card in his stomach and dashed towards Vermont, sword drawn back. Raising his pistol, he fired a shot of lighting at Vermont's right side to get him to dodge left. When Vermont dodged as he expected, Boss slashed his sword down at Vermont's head. And as his sword slashed down through the air, Vermont's exosuit was overrun with purple energy.

Planting his feet into the ground, Vermont raised his right arm and caught Boss's katana. In Boss's slight second of confusion and amazement, Vermont drew back his fist. Now overflowing with purple and orange energy, he sent a devastating right hook into Boss's face that released a shockwave of energy.

This shockwave of energy sent Boss flying backwards far enough for him to crash through multiple trees. Standing prideful of his small victory, a sudden wave of white energy sent Vermont stumbling backwards. This energy had an intensity to it that made it completely indistinguishable from Boss's earlier energy.

A shockwave of white energy exploded from Boss's exosuit again along with a laugh that sounded almost maniacal. Boss then suddenly phased right into Vermont's face. The pressure from his aura of energy was enough to force Vermont to his knees. Only able to turn his head slightly, Vermont glanced up as Boss loomed over him menacingly.

After letting out a sigh, Boss sheathed his katana and let his aura die down. "Alright, that's enough for now." He said as Wolf stood up from sitting down on a tree branch.

"Excuse me, that's enough?" Vermont questioned in an agitated tone. "What the hell are you trying pull here."

"I'm done fighting you." Boss stated simply. "Ony more and I'm going to end up killing you."

"I don't understand." Vermont admitted. "Why let me live."

"Because you're strong. I could feel it with each passing moment." Boss informed. "As we fought you were getting stronger with every moment. Now that you're bonded to that monster, it's helping you adapt. It's forcing you to evolve at an advanced rate and turning you into the ultimate warrior."

"That still doesn't answer my question." Vermont pressed. "Why are you letting me live!?"

"It's because you have potential you dope." Scouts voice said from behind Boss. "You may not be strong enough now, but he can see it." Scout teleported behind Vermont and wrapped his arm around his shoulder. "You have the potential to grow powerful enough to actually hold your own against him."

"And don't go on thinking anything you did just now was holding your own." Scout said as he backed away from Vermont. "This battle junkie was holding back the whole fight in order to determine your capabilities." Scout stopped and his tone suddenly became serious. "Believe me, I've seen what one of his actual fights looks like."