4

'Don't try to make yourselves beautiful on the outside, with stylish hair or by wearing gold jewelry or fine clothes. Instead, make yourselves beautiful on the inside, in your hearts, with the enduring quality of a gentle, peaceful spirit. This type of beauty is very precious in God's eyes."  — Peter 3:3-4. '

And again, there was your photo right above the written portion. This time it was taken from afar. The sun overcrowded the photo greatly, so you guessed it was probably from an early morning stroll many a day ago.

'BEAUTIFUL MORNING, [NAME], REMINISCENT OF YOU.

I don't know if you received my last letter, but if you didn't that's fine. I'm still thinking of you often. You remind me so of the verses I put at the top. I always hand-select them for you.

How does dinner sound? We could go out, or my mother could make some for you. You could even choose the day and time. I drive a new Golden Bel-air, you don't have to walk around anymore. It's not proper for a female to be walking alone.

Once again, my number is 9XX-XXXX. Please consider it. My mother and father would be pleased to finally meet you.'

Well, he was masterclass at talking to himself. There was a maladjusted assumption about what you were like, which was definitely something — A humorous thing at that. But his persistence despite your reluctance wasn't appreciated. Doesn't he know to stop trying when your advances aren't returned? You've run off on him about a thousand times now, shook him off a couple hundred and said NO right in his face a handful.

Ugh, keeping up with him was somehow harder than keeping up with the girl's drama. Apparently (and you don't know the certainty of this) Shanice, or Tammy might be trying to take Marshall from Lorelei. Which would more than likely end up in whoever it is being kicked out of the friend group, or more. And if Marshall relented that's just be worse, wouldn't it?

Nine months with a beautiful girl not mattering for some lackluster fling. That'd be just ridiculous, but it's happened. You knew better than to trust a male so early in his life; Life is something full of mistakes, and you can only make those when young. That wasn't necessarily true for only males, but it was commonplace with them.
And nowadays not many women didn't want to be married before a war. If your husband's gone, well, you have half of him in the crib. Memories fade, but that'll last you a good while.

Right now, you think the battling will only get worse. As your mom shuffled through documents - no less, important ones - She looked as rabid as a bloodhound. With her serious eyes and manicured nails. Whatever she was searching for so desperately had to be necessary, otherwise you'd think she was going hysteric.

Once she picked up whatever she needed, she carefully sauntered it over to another part of the house. And you just knew.

Your parents never whispered. You were Twenty, which meant you were impartial to nearly all the secrets of adulthood. The only thing you needed to watch out for at Twenty, was turning Forty. With that you had no doubt about the future. Your dad sat at the T.V., no newspaper or catalog in-hand, scratching the bottom of his face and watching the news with the volume very low.

~

The next day, when you walked out of your room, neither of your parents were home. Which was odd. Even when you went outside for a few hours and came back, they still were nowhere to be seen.  As you go out looking for them, you spot Lee out of the corner of your eye. You weren't fortunate enough to be able to escape gracefully at the moment, and just decided to let him walk up.

You'd tell him this time — In a way that he couldn't ignore.

" Hello! Good afternoon. "

" Hi. "
" It was very good being your date that Friday. Really, I felt something I've never felt before. "

" That reminds me, I really need to tell you something- "

" Yes, sure. Before you go, You must come to church with me sometime. It'd be an honor if you watched me preach. Plus, my parents would just love to see you. "

" I'm not going to, Because I don't like you, Lee. Honest; I might even dislike you. " It came out extremely rushed, but he has been pestering you all week. And interrupting you now. What nerve he had.

" Dislike me? " He basically laughed in your face, fixing his preacher's collar, " Why, You don't even know me. Despite that I've been marvelous to you.
You would think someone would at-least try something before making up their mind like that. " He began to close in on you, his confused expression somehow blazingly obnoxious.

" Hey! " You barked in his face, stunning him. " Why don't you find someone interested? I mean, I don't know how else I should try to give it to you! I've been mannered - You don't listen. Damn it! " You breathed, rolling your hair back and out of your face. You broke back into speaking in a proper, even voice, embarrassed by your yelling outburst. " I don't want to go with you. "

His expression still only added onto your anger. You could just grab him right now, throttle him around. Those beady eyes, that christian worry. It drove you nuts. You swung your arms in the air and walked away, hoping that that was a definitive end to all of this. It only costed you your dignity. But you soon heard feet trailing you, and a big hand sat on a shoulder and ran you against the wall by means of pinning you to it. " I don't know who raised you - "

" Unhand me this instant! "
" - but those are not the mannerisms of a lady. You out'to apologize when a good man wants to take you out and you deny him. "

Now that you reaaally had to look at him, he looked like Gregory Peck in a comical way. His straight nose was flared out, lips plunged in an angry frown. " So, apologize. "

You gave him one good look in his blistering blue eyes. And stomped the ball of your shoe down right over his. He clutched his precious foot, howling in bouts of pain. With that, you panicked and tried to decide where you should hide. He knew your house, he knew Lorelei's house, and Shanice's and Tasha's. When It came down to it though you only wanted to hide in your room.

The heel of your foot took a portion of the blow and ached dully as you ran. But you still ran, like always, away from the big bad monster. A man that wouldn't leave you alone. You hoped dangerously that that was finally enough to tip him away. He now had an ugly, painful bruise on his foot.

Each step he took now should remind him to let you alone.

Deep down, fear gnawed at your spine that nothing would ever be enough to make him go.