70. Paranoia

due to my long break I took between chapters, my views and comments tanked pretty bad. So if you enjoy this, I cherish all comments and reads. And if you know someone that would enjoy it, feel free to share it! Loe y'all. 

When Grey Ghost and Vhagar flew over King's Landing, the people cheered. When a naked and bloodied Dalton Grejoy was dragged through the streets to the castle, they yelled curses at him and threw food and rocks.

"What exactly are we doing with the prisoner?" Lord Lannister asked during the first Small Council meeting after their return.

"I've spent days trying to think about that," Visenya admitted, letting out a yawn as she sat back in her chair. "I've thought about slicing his eye from his head for making an eye jest towards the king, but Dalton thrives off his pride. A real punishment would be humiliation. So we shall strip him naked and tie him up outside the castle gates for everyone to look at while he slowly dies."

"A crucifixion? They will call you cruel." Maester Munkun frowned.

"At this point," Rhaenys started, "The Red Kraken has attempted to rape the Queen and went so far as to threaten her. He has also destroyed the entire Lannister fleet. So what do you think, Lord Tyland? You have some personal stake, considering that Lannisport was your home."

"He raped the women of my home and destroyed it. I don't think any punishment shall be grave enough. Greyjoy is a curse. He kills and rapes with no remorse, he will never change his ways. Therefore I stand by our Queen's decision."

Lord Gwayne Hightower had joined the council right after Visenya departed for Lannisport, something she had agreed to so that peace could be kept with the Hightowers. They still followed her after the death of Alicent and Otto, though Visenya knew it was only because their hatred for Rhaenyra was stronger and because they wanted Hightower blood on the throne, something they would get when it was Maegor's time to take the crown.

Since Lucerys had helped as interim Master of Laws after Jasper Wylde's removal, they were in need of more council members. So she added Gwayne in good faith and in appreciation of their loyalty, even if it was forced.

But at this moment, Gwayne seemed green in the face at the idea of the punishment being discussed.

"Problem, Uncle?" Aemond asked.

"It just seems extreme."

"Hm," Aemond nodded. "Need I remind you what they did to my daughter...your niece, your blood?"

Gwayne looked down at his hands. "I just don't wish for our Queen to be viewed as cruel for enacting retribution."

"She is enacting justice! She is punishing someone who deliberately committed treason. That is different than murdering an innocent child. That is why the Black Queen is called Rhaenyra the Cruel. She hurt an innocent. Dalton Greyjoy is far from innocent. Plus, a public display would be good for the commoners who wish justice for their lost Princess. Laenora was loved."

Aemond tensed, staring at the table with his fists clenched. Welcome to the pain that everyone else who's ever existed has to deal with, and move the fuck on. They were words meant to cause a rise out of him, and yet they stuck with him all the same.

Having Vharra makes it better, but also makes it worse. When he's holding her, sometimes he can picture Laeny. When Vharra giggles and smiles, she gets the same dimples that her older sister had.

"Visenya," Aemond suddenly spoke, interrupting her side conversation with Rhaenys.

Visenya saw the graveness of his expression and knew that whatever he was about to say or ask was not going to be something she liked. "What, Aemond?"